Sign in to follow this  
Saint Tricky

New original key cut

Hi

I just asked my local VW parts person if I can get an original key cut for my car, don't have the code but could supply him with chassis number etc.

He said my C is too old for that now and they can only copy the keys I already have.

This is not really an option as the keys are old and worn.

Can someone please confirm if this the case with all dealers or just mine?

Ta

ST

They should be able to find the code on dialogue....

You may also find that a copied key is fine as when they copy the profile the edges become sharpe again (depends how badly worn it is)

Corrado's use AH profile keys and they used to copy them for free but my dealer doesn't even have the machine anymore to cut!

Thanks

Think I'll try another stealers just to be sure.

I asked about tumblers and springs also, but was told you have to buy a big bag of the things now for over £40. Pretty steep but a small price to pay to have all the locks the same.

Why oh why does my 'Corrado to do' list keep getting longer when I spend all my time sorting her out? Madness, pure madness. :evil:

ST

Might be best off gettign a couple of lock barrels from a local scrappy, and using tumblers from those.

Check for ignition immobilser chip - may be one embedded in your orginal ignition key(s).

A new key cut from a blank must contain similar chip and apparently requires main dealer only to recode both the car and all existing/new keys so they match (true/false?)

Otherwise (as I have found from experience) a new key will start the car OK but it will stop running after about 2 seconds.