Sign in to follow this  
minkeya

Lowering my 16v over Borbet A's

Ok I want to lower my 1.8 16v. The road surface around here is awful (just like everywhere else in Britain), so I still want some comfort and can't just slam it to the floor.

Have got my heart set on Borbet A's, 7.5 at the front and 9 at the rear. I realise I will need to get the arches rolled at the rear depending on how low I go.

Are coilovers the best suspension to on the market reguardless of what wheels I've got. What is the best brand? How much should I pay?

right..ive got borbet As on my 16v but 7.5 all round.

9s at the back do look good but as you said might need some arch work...think m15 vw has 9s on hers, but are u after 17's or 16? will make a difference i think..mine are 17s and i have had no problems and is lowered 80mm and looks about right..pretty low but not completely decked..coilovers are good, but if u want comfort you will need to invest in fully adjustable ones..height adjustable will allow u to go as low (or high) as you want but if you cant adjust the dampning then will be very uncomfortable (from my experience anyways) the higher end fully adjustable ones will give you the option of height and stiffness, but obviously the lower u go the stiffer u need them or else it will rub like a bitch..but this requires extra cash...id guess 500-700 brand new!

OR you could settle for decent springs and shocks which will be substantially cheaper and do the job quite nicely but you will be limited to one height only! the choice is up to you!

Thats awesome mate! Lookin at 16's. Am eyeing up some fully adjustable (FK, I think) konigsports. Thanks for the help!

i have a 93 v on 9 x 16 rear and 7.5 x 16 front borbet a's with stretched rubber.. on avo coilovers..

u will have rubbing issues.. i have had the rear arches rolled and thus solved..

coil overs do give u a rough ride but if ur lookin to go low.. thats the only option id stand behind.. and when throwin the c into corners they just stick wioth coilys..

if ur lookin for a good deal on borbets i have a mate in germany who will look after you ?

hes a top bloke .. if interested pm me and ill give u his email..

i do agree with the other boys though it does depend on how low ya wanna go if ur only lookin on a 40 - 60 drop .. go the way of springs etc

but for xtreme. . .has to be coilovers.. but as stated they dont come cheap.

fair play ripper.. love the pick . i used to own a pk when i was a wee bmx bandit. . top bikes especially when with a set of skyways

god the bad hair cuts and dodgy clothes are all comin flooding back.. the shame

Nice one PBTL! Reckon I'm gonna go with coilovers see how low I can go. I will pm after payday as am spending this months quoter on engine and hopefully the Coilovers!!