Sign in to follow this  
Jon_vr6

288mm brake problems

Right fella took discs pad of the front then had to iundo that banjo bolt that connects to the solid brake line which then goes to the abs that banjo bolt is corroded badly and now virtually rounded off! That needs to come off to get the pipe off anyone any ideas or am i going to have to cut the solid pipe off and get a new one of them??

Dont know about the otherside but may aswell get another solid brake line to go to the abs for that to anyone know if vw do them part numbers would be good??

cheers

Jon

You got a spare car Jon?

Id say cut the end of them off, remove the solid lines and take them to a garage where they can swage a new union on the end for you..

If they look coroded then get them to make you a coupld up that are the same..

To remove the one that goes to the drivers side it is the 2nd one from the left on the pump, you will need to remove the heat shield behind the exhaust manifold..

Im just gonna book a week off only have one car!

well had enough and put my car back together it would be so much easier if instead of solid brake lines going to the abs they were flexible like the goodridge ones! Gotta be one of the worst setups ever using banjo screws that are gonna corrode over time! anyway rant over lol!

do the solid brake lines that connect to the abs pump to the flexi hose come as seperate parts if so what are the part numbers and i imagine they come with the banjo bolt on the end to connect to the goodridges any help appriciated fella??

You dont need part numbers Jon..

Cut the ends and remove them from the ABS Pump. Take them to a garge and get them to make them up to the same length, the unions on either end are universal.

You should pay next to nothing for them as you are gonna fit them yourself...

can a garage sort out them screws at the end aswell so they fit into my goodridge! Didnt know garages did that so basically take em out the both solid brake lines and the screws at the end and get a garage to sort me out a new pair of em??

I had the same problems so i robbed some unions from a scrapped car and did it myself, ive access to a swage kit here, it is a 2 min job to put them back on..

Id only get them to make up a new brake line if your existing ones are corroded otherwise id stick with them...

yeah but if i cut them they are going to be shorter in length arnt they so probably worth having new ones

I only had to cut an inch off my one (drivers side) and it went back in fine.

To remove the drivers side one the easiest way is to withdraw it through the passenger side wheel arch, the passenger side one is shortedr and should be quite straightforward.

You will end up bending them during removal but they go back to shape no probs, you wouldnt know min had been out, just take your time..

i hope there wont be after that just hate seein the discs and the pads in their packagin they need to be on the car lol!

Red stuff pads and red calipers didnt fancy the green stuff doesnt look to bad on yours but green on mine would look a bit dodgy i thought so the whole lots red!

Fair dos, the reds are the semi race spec ones i believe, im no expert..

I just wanted road spec, my baby isnt a race car..

Right sorted a place to make my new solid brake lines up but are the ends (unions) that connect to the abs pump and the flexi hose both male connections or female ??

And with me being lazy does anyone know what lengh the solid brake lines are for the drivers side and the passenger side ??

Cheers

Right sorted a place to make my new solid brake lines up but are the ends (unions) that connect to the abs pump and the flexi hose both male connections or female ??

And with me being lazy does anyone know what lengh the solid brake lines are for the drivers side and the passenger side ??

Cheers

They are both males Jon, i dont know about the brake line lengths though, they are detailed in ETKA though..

cheers mate will just have to measure with a piece of string he said they add on a couple of inches anyway to make sure cant wait till these are on!