Sign in to follow this  
StuartFZR400

Air box and Petrol

Might be time to get the Haynes Passat manual out for my 16v (9A) out, as I seem to have a problem. Smelt petrol on start up about 2 months ago, but the smell has now gone. However, inspecting my Air Filter today, I found that a patch - about half the size of a tax disc - was saturated in petrol.

Any idea why petrol is coming through or where from?

(the top of the airbox looks rather trick)

Cheers :?

Hi mate.. would strongly reccommend checking the 16v specific engine forum at the VW Vortex - they've got some really clued up guys on there who i'm sure could give you some suggestions!

Check it out here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeroforum?id=35

Sent that email off for you BTW!

Off the top of my head...

The lump on top of your air box is the fuel metering unit, as the flap in the intake pipe moves, it allows more fuel to get to the injectors. The metering unit itself is fairly simple with the flap moving a pin inside a tube. There are 4 slots in the tube each leading to the injector pipes. Petrol is pumped into the open end of the pipe, and as the pin moves and exposes more of the slots, then more fuel can get to the injectors.

The 9A has a system to shut fuel off when the throttle is clsoed and I don't know exactly how that works tbh.

I'd guess at a seal leaking inside the metering head. Try to find a bosch service centre, as they might be able to fix it for you.