Sign in to follow this  
swfblade

Claim Valuation for my RIP VR6

Im having a problem getting my insurance comp to pay out a reasonable amount for my RIP VR6. They are obviously asking for more proof that the car is worth more than they are offering for it.

Just briefly, it is a 94, Dragon Green, 80k on the clock. Engine in top condition, interior mint (Heated Black Leather), exterior was excellent before the crash, full VWSH, loads of reciepts for just about everything (including a few for some Synta Silver...), everything worked. Basically it was a very good example.

They came in with a first offer of £2400. I spose thats not too bad for a first offer, but i obviously told them where to stick it and printed off 6 Autotrader ads for cars of similar age & spec, slightly higher mileage and most in conditions not as good as mine, ranging from £4500 to £6000. Those below £4500 where not anywhere near the condition/spec of mine.

They've come back to me saying that the engineer said my car was in "average" condition, despite it being in excellent and low mileage! Anyhoo.... what do think guys? What should I be looking at accepting and what should be my next step?

imho yours would of been worth £2.5k to £3.5k tops and remember they offer book price not market value

Not another one..... You don't seem t be having much look with Corrado's :roll:

What happened to you this time?

Did u miss my post a couple months ago m8? nearly killed meself when me brakes failed coming onto a roundabout at 70mph....not nice.....

Aw man, don't listen to these guys, your motor is worth more than that. Took me 3 months, but keep on printing out Autotrader, Pistonheads, Forum ads with cars of similar qualities. I got 4k for a slightly lower mileage but lower spec car VR6, first offer was similar to yours.

Update guys!!

Result! After writing to them, sending them autotrader quotes, pictures of my car and offering a testimony as to how nice my car was by a VW Mechanic, they have agreed to pay out £4800!! woohoo!! :D

I am a happy bunny, and altho it has taken time, this just proves that everyone should persue there claims as much as possible!! Good luck guys! 8)

Congrats matey, nice to see some justice.. So what you buying to write off next? ;)

Did you come to a deal about the car itself or has it been outed to a "re-cyclers"?

LOL! cheers, hopefully the next one wont get written off! I'll probably be getting something a little slowernext time. The crash made me think about a lot of things, and after owning both a G60 & a VR6 Corrado over the past 3 years, I feel its time to move onto something else.

Having said that, I dont think I'll ever top the VR6. Best car I've ever had, and probably will ever have....RIP my friend :(

No deal made as of yet, but I do want her back, as she's got some stuff in her worth a fair amount! Full heated black leather, a VGC 80k VR6 engine....to name but a few things..... 8)

OK now im peed again :mad:

Before I accepted the settlement, they had already sold my car on to a Salvage yard, who in turn have sold it on again. MY understanding is that untill I accept, the car is still mine, especially as I still have the V5.....

I have also made it clear that I wanted the car back from day 1.

Can anyone advise on this? Does anyone know the exact law here, or know where I can find it out?

Who were you insured with?

I am in a similar situation, expect I am right at the start of my negoiations. The company told me I couldnt buy my car back which I am contesting.

My broker was brentacre, insurance company was Ensign and a company called claimtek deal with all their claims.

Form what I have read claimtek are a bunch of *insert rude word*. I cant believe they sold your car before you had settled. that is why they dont want me to buy my car back. Well its in a place they dont know and they are not getting there hands on my car until I am happy.

keep me updated if you find anything out as I am very interested!

OK now im peed again :mad:

MY understanding is that untill I accept, the car is still mine,

exactly, you don't buy back something which already belongs to you. :shock:

I got my insurance thru Lancaster Insurance and I think its with Zenith. The claim is actually being delt with by "The Claims Service". The thing is, its not that they are unwilling to sell me my car back (they've already told me that I can), its the fact that they cant, because they have already sold it!!

Technically it's theft..

Go ask plod what you can do?

If not I'd be thretening then with claims court.. in a similar way to those bank charge cases...

Get onto the press too... TopGear... Watchdog.. etc...

yeah good idea. I have already contacted DVLA saying that I am not relinquishing the V5 and if anyone requests that it be acknowledged as scrap that they ignore it. Im going to speak to plod, best friends wife is a copper, so hopefully she can advise, or point me in right direction at least!!

I'll go write an email to watchdog etc now...... :?

oh and in the meantime, if anyone spots my car in a breakers yard, L693XLL, dragon green VR6, black leather interior etc PLEASE let me know where it is asap!!!!!

Such a horrible situation to be in.. If i were you id be taking the company to court...

Im no legal eagle but ive always understood once you accept the money they can do what they like with the car so all negotiations of buying it back should be done prior to agreeing an amount...

Ive paid a bit more on this years insurance to gaurantee salvage rights and have a full agreed valuation to avoid this scenario...

Best of luck to you andson of a beesting, i hope it gets sorted...

Im suprised to read this.. sorry to hear what happened atleast yr ok mate.. thats a real stinger them selling the car on.. I would have taken some bits... hope you get sorted mate..

cheers for the words of support guys!

Yeah well Ive already written to the DVLA and they've confirmed that the car will remain mine untill I say so!

Also written to topgear, watchdog, and the governments own consumer rights thingy.

Havent had a chance to speak to a copper yet, gonna try do that today.....