Sign in to follow this  
cardboard

intermittent power problem

My C has been running much better today after cleaning the flow metering head (cheers Dave!) It didn't stall and the revs were ok. I recommend anyone with a valver giving this a go as it was quick and easy and the results are noticeable. It's still not running as sweetly and as fast as when I bought it. Will keep working my way through possible solutions (thanks for the tip Ross).

Will unplug the blug clip tomorrow and see how that goes...

I think the yellow wire is for the oil pressure switch, which has probably just got that extra connector on it as the same wiring is used on another model with a second switch.

the extra wire is just a bit of loom for cars with the optional oil pressure gauge in the centre console, it ends just behind the fuseboard.

I'm going to drive it tomorrow as normal to see if it was the thing I cleaned today. If not, then unplugging the cold start will be the next thing. If it runs ok with no cold start, what does that mean? What needs fixing/cleaning/replacing???

Cheers!

It could cure the loss of power / excessive fuel consumption side of things. It's caused by the thermo-time sensor triggering when it shouldn't. It should only give on shot of extra fuel when cold (more if really cold) to get started and then never fire whilst running.

Replace the thermo-time switch, but I'm not sure of the location of it?

Guys, I would defo change your fuel filter as a precaution. It's only a 15 minute job, and a new filter is under a tenner.

Right! Thanks again for all the advice. Car has been running much better, but today it nearly died twice at two roundabouts in a kind of weird way. Put my foot down and the power came back, but then it was a bit juddery. Got home, and just as I was pulling off the road the entire power died. Tried restarting it but nothing. Plugged the cold start back in but that made no difference. So I've pushed it off the road and left it there. Any ideas before I call the AA? :(

Have been outside and have had another tinker. I've checked the dizzy and all of the leads, cables, etc. and everything looks fine.

Had a thought - there's no sound coming from the fuel pump. usually as soon as you turn the key half way it makes a racket, so presumably the fuel pump has gone. I guess a knackered fuel pump would explain the juddering, stalling, dodgy idle and eventual cut out. So have booked it into PSI tomorrow to get it fixed. Any ideas on how much this should cost?

i dunno but thanks for all the pics staffs cos they definately helped me what you just described sounds exactly like my problem but since i cleaned the ISV and maf the other day mine has been running a lot better i hope my fuel pump doesnt go like yours has!! might have to invest in on asap

No worries. Having searched a few posts, replacing the fuel pump yourself doesn't seem like big a job (or replacing the fuel filter) so you could do it. I need my car back on the road today, and it needs its MOT so off to the garage it is going. Glad yours is running well again.

Thought the fuel pump had gone. Mr RAC thought the same. Took it to PSI and they have been tinkering with it. Spoke to them on the phone and apparently the wiring is a bit screwed. The fuel pump has a crossed wire with the indicators, so I'm ok, as long as I don't try and turn left or right :lol: :( :?

Staffs, had a similar problem with Stevef's car recently, it was the plug in the back of the fuse board (G4 I think). It wasn't quite clipped in properly so wasn't getting a trigger from the ECU.

Fuel pumps do fail though and icky wiring doesn't help matters.

You can test the fuel pump by sticking a cable tie in the contacts of the relay, then it doesn't need the ECU signal.

Good luck!

Some joker had obviously had a problem with the ECU in the past, and had hard-wired the fuel pump into the indicators. PSI have sorted out the wires, but it's needed a new (second-hand) ECU. Over £300 in total with labout and VAT. Ouch. The mrs was not happy...

Car still playing up. Battery light keeps flickering, and it keeps stalling at low revs. Searched on here about this, and read about getting the alternator tested. Took this to a garage today, and the battery and alternator are fine. Bit of a head scratcher this one. The garage said for electrical problems like this there was only one place they ever send cars to, so I got the name and number and trundled up there. The bloke there really seemed to know what he was talking about in terms of Corrados. Have booked it in for Monday for him to sort (hopefully). He said a lot of interesting things like not to adjust the flow metering head (which I've seen some garages do...)

I can't remember a lot of what he said, it was a lot to take in, but the test will be on Monday I guess.