Sign in to follow this  
Ffatlac3

strange 1.8 16v oil light question..

Hi folks..I know stuff like this has been covered ..Have done a few searches on here but to no avail yet..

Oil pressure warning light has been coming on randomly for some time now..just every now and again for a few secs ..recently more so..seems fine till i blip the throttle past about 2500 revs..then kicks in ...until now it's been a small annoyance which has been cured by momentarily turning ignition off and back on,then fine again for days..

Have removed and cleaned up both black and white sensors and tried running with wires dsconnected to eliminate those..just the same :(

Plenty of oil in..seems pointless testing oil pressure/pump if it's the same with the sensor wires off??

Are there any other sensors or owt that would trigger the light?..Any comments appreciated,Thanks,Scott

i had this off and on over two years ,as my cars not a daily driver any more i used to disconect the battery or over a few weeks the battery would pull down , any way one day had it really bad the normal off on a few time didn't stop it worse was when i flashed the main beem the engine would cut out turned out to be a loose battery terminal not that loose really just about half a turn cleaned it up and tightened well oil light problems gone away , so clean and tighten the battery terminals first if that don't work check the other earth straps

Rob

i had a golf gti 16v a couple of years back and had the same problem i tried alsorts twice over and in the end there was a fault on the clocks so i just replaced them and there was no problem after that 8)

My valver's developed this same fault. Guy I took it to said they develop a fault on the clocks, which would need a new circuit board on to stop the light and buzzer going off. I was just wondering wether a circuit board off a spare set of clocks can be connected to mine? I don't really wanna get another set of clocks as my milage would then be out.

Any ideas anyone?

don't disregard what they're there for in the first place, if your engine is high miles it's worth dropping the sump and checking the oil pickup strainer and preferably for play in the pump gears.

from the description it sounds like the 'high' pressure sender, a misnomer, but it does have the higher of the two senders values, it basically needs to detect pressure of a minimum of about 1.3 bar at 2,500 rpm or the buzzer/light will go off.

For the sake of a trip to a scrappy or a couple of quid from GSF you can stick a new sensor in there to be sure. The circuit is completed by the engine earth strap back to the battery (as mentioned) but it's unlikely that is the fault if other engine related electrics are fine (oil temp water temp, alternator etc).

It is possible the wiring to the sender top is dodgy, they do corrode quite badly because of where they are situated.