Sign in to follow this  
yalan

Home & garage insurance

Has anybody else come across problems trying to ensure they've got adequate cover for their garage contents? My insurers say their max cover is £2K and this doesn't really come close. Its all secure in there but I'd feel safer knowing the tools were covered.

Any suggestions?

I think the main problem is the off-the-shelf policies, they all seem to cover things like shed contents etc. but have limits to total amounts and individual item amounts, like 150 quid for an individual bike etc.

Trouble is they whack the premium up if you want higher cover, simple example being my wife's wedding ring, as it was over their max single item value they wanted to almost double the contents premium to cover a bit more for one specified item, made it almost pointless to take out, which I don't see any logic in???

I know what you mean about the extras. We added a couple of bikes an engagement ring and a watch and it shot up.

However, these items are insured outside of the home too against loss, theft etc so worth it in the long run.

But with the garage - its part of the house, alarmed and very secure - but they just won't believe that you could have more than 2K inside. Add a decent compressed air system and that is the insurance gone without even buying a spanner!