Sign in to follow this  
Saint Tricky

Ignition lock barrel & housing

Hi

Firstly, I have just re-tumbled all of the locks on my car back to original spec and want to do the same to the ignition barrel, but I understand I need to buy a new barrel for the ignition as it can't be re-tumbled. I have the key code, is it still possible to go to VW with this code and order a new barrel to match?

Any idea of price?

I've also got a new ignition switch to fit.

Seeing as my lock housing has already been drilled I'd like to replace it with a new one, is the GSF one any good?

Finally, I seached the Wiki and found this:

Ignition barrel replacement

Remove steering wheel.

Remove both lower & upper steering column cowls.

Remove both stalk switches.

Break old steering lock housing apart (will not come away from steering column in 1 piece) - use "grips" on top & left side of lock housing. Softish alloy & should break off quite easily.

Turn electrical switch to 1st position, attach & screw to back of new lock housing.

Fit new lock housing to steering column.

Turn key in new lock cylinder to first position & line up with slot in electrical switch.

Slide new lock cylinder into new steering lock housing.

Re-assemble stalk switches, cowls & steering wheel.

There is no requirement for drilling the old lock cylinder - it will come away from the car still attached to the mashed-up lock housing.

Took me 15 minutes from start to finish.

How do you fit the new lock housing to the steering column, is it bolted on, any special tools needed, do I need to remove anything else?

Just want an idea of what to expect before I start.

Thaks

ST

The lock housing is not much from VW - £30 ish depending on fixed or adjustable collumn, not sure about the barrel but I think you should be able to order a new one (but maybe not by key code) or just swap your original one over by drilling the lock housing (Bentley manual shows where to drill)

I just phoned my local stealers and they can't order a new ignition lock barrel by key number. Gits. (wasted my time changing over my locks to a new key I had bought now)

Also they reckon it's £47 +VAT for the lock barrel, £96 +VAT if your unlucky with an immobiliser.

I'm getting right pissed off with my car now, everything costs a fortune. I was was better off with Fords. :(

Problem is getting slightly more urgent now as the bloody ignition switch is playing up now.

ST