Sign in to follow this  
The Hub

Brake overhaul

Hi, I'm looking to do a complete overhaul on my braking system, disk, pads, calipers, hoses and pipes.

I have done the obligatory search and got most of my information but would just like a few things confirmed before I carry this out.

I plan to go 280mm g60 and want to know which disks and pads are the prefered choice?

I am assuming it would be a Goodridge G60 hose kit that I would need to use with the G60 Calipers?

What is the best way to replace all brake pipes? Part Numbers would be helpful too!!

Is there anything else I should be doing at the same time, I plan to do my rear axle bushes too (hopefully), but anything else?

Thanks in advance :)

Evening.

I put 280mm brakes on my 16v a little while back. Went for the plain bog standard brembo disks from GSF and EBC Greenstuff pads. I had the brembos as 256mm with pagid fast road pads and liked them so stayed with the same stuff.

I used the Goodridge G60 set of pipes from GSF. TBH, they are a bit long as the early and late cars had different solid pipes, and the G60s have the pipes clamped to the back of the shock absorber.

Are you looking to replace all solid lines as well as flexis? The solid lines to the front are fairly straight forward, but the rear lines need the exhaust and heat sheild off eventually.

To change the flexis. I used a can of brake cleaner to help clean all the dirt and cack off the joint, wire brushed it and put wd40 on and let it soak in for a while, then tried to crack the pipes off. I only changed the pipes at the end when the new calipers were ready to go on(left the old calipers hanging on the suspension till the end). The whole system was only open for a short while that way, so that there was minimal fluid leakage.

If you make sure there is plenty of fluid in the reesevoir and leave the bleed neipples open, gravity will cause fluid to runinto the calipers and helps to reduce the ammount of bleeding you need to do.

Allow at least 1/2 litre of brake fluid for each corner (Thanks Yan)

I'd fit new boots to the claiper slider pins and regrease all the calipers. I'd also consider putting seals in all of the brake calipers.

Would definitely recommend changing the handbrake cables. They're only £8 each after all.

Thanks for the info mate, yes I am looking at replacing all the solid lines, though I plan on doing the exhaust this weekend, so are you saying i should wait and do the exhaust and rear pipes at the same time? Also what did you do for solid lines? Can you buy ready made items or is it a case of making your own?

you dont have to remove the exhaust to change the rear brake pipe. just loosen the heat shield (star clips) and rest it on top of the exhaust (maybe one exhaust hanger to loosen, i cant remember..), and the clips holding the solid pipe on are accessible either side and you can slide it out... most importantly remember how you slide it out, because you have to slide the new one back in the same way...!!

pb

Thanks for the advice, I was under the car at the weekend fitting the exhaust, and had a look at the solid brake pipes and tbh they look fine :) Think I'll keep it as simple as possible and just upgrade the disc's, calipers, pads and braided lines.