Sign in to follow this  
kvwloon

Two Quick CV Joint and Track Rod End Questions please.......

OK, after much swearing, have finally fitted.....a new steering rack, subframe, wishbones, track rod ends, balljoints and an outer CV joint, but.....

1 - After fitting the new outer CV joint I noticed there was a bit of lateral play of the CV joint along the driveshaft splines. In the box the CV joint came in I noticed a small plastic bush which was the right diameter to slip on the driveshaft. Looking at a few manuals I noticed a kind of bush which looked like this part, so I fitted it between the spring clip/thrust washer and the CV joint, seemd to all fit OK, no lateral play at all (now I'm thinking maybe there is supposed to be some lateral CV joint movement along the driveshaft to account for up/down movement of the wishbone?). When offering up the wishbone/baljoint up to the brake swivel, it was quite hard to get it all lined up. Managed it in the end, but was I right to fit this plastic bush?

2 - When fitting the new track rod ends to the new rack I took the measurements from the old unit and set up the new rack/rods to the same, but the wheel are obviously way out of track, anyone know the right dimensions to set them up to please, at the moment both wheel are toeing out very noticeably.

Thanks in advance for any help, want to get the old gal back on the road, it's been a while.

If it was the outer CV joint i dont know of any bush mate, when you put the new joint on you should put the boot on first then there are 2 plastic washers which need to go on the correct way round and sit in grooves on the driveshaft (the joint sits against these), a C clip which clips in to a groove on the end of the driveshaft spline and then the joint, obviously packed full of grease and then clipped up. I replaced my n/s outer cv joint at the weekend and thats what mine was like anyway.

cheers chap, I'll be taking that apart again, getting quite practiced at it now - sigh! Any other takers ref. the track rod query please? :)

Not sure about the track rod really, but you might be able to set it up straight enough to get it to a garage by using a spirit level and/or something really long and straight that you could line up with the rear wheels maybe?

I had to do my camber with a spirit level after changing my cv joint, the tire was resting on the suspension leg when i first put it back together, wondered why it felt weird to drive! :lol:

a quick and dirty get you going on the track rods is to measure the distance between fronts of the two tyres and the backs and make them even.

/ \ or \ / gives you different measurements to | | if you get what I mean lol

When replacing rod ends no matter how carefully you measure them up to the old ones. The only was your going to get it right is to have it set up by someone with the correct equipment.

yep, all good now, passed MOT then took her straight (well, straight-ish!) to ATS and they did it properly. :)

1 - After fitting the new outer CV joint I noticed there was a bit of lateral play of the CV joint along the driveshaft splines. In the box the CV joint came in I noticed a small plastic bush which was the right diameter to slip on the driveshaft. Looking at a few manuals I noticed a kind of bush which looked like this part, so I fitted it between the spring clip/thrust washer and the CV joint, seemd to all fit OK, no lateral play at all (now I'm thinking maybe there is supposed to be some lateral CV joint movement along the driveshaft to account for up/down movement of the wishbone?). When offering up the wishbone/baljoint up to the brake swivel, it was quite hard to get it all lined up. Managed it in the end, but was I right to fit this plastic bush?

The lateral moment within the drive shaft is on the inner CV joint, I've just replaced my boot after the ARB ripped it and I did use the plastic spacer, there was already one there so I just replced it with the new one.