Sign in to follow this  
mk1g60

g60 ecu query, update low boost?

right, bit of a prob with the raddo g60 and was wondering if this sounds familiar to any of you guys

the car is standard exept for smaller pulley on a rebuilt charger, a suspected sns chip and k&n panel filter, and its running a bit strange,

first the car seems a bit flat till it gets to just over 4k revs then it pulls better, not as well as expected though, i know of a lad who has just had a rolling road setup installed in his unit and put the rado on for a go, put out 145bhp at 5.7k revs. so theres definately something wrong as its underpowered , he commented on the way it seemed to rev like it had no limiter???

does any of this point at an obvioues fault?? i think that i should send the ecu away to have a new sns chip fitted (just a guess as im no mechanic) but wanted to get an opinion from you guys first.

cheers in advance, karl.

sns chips have the limiter moved up so that its not so easy to hit it, as hitting the limiter will damage the charger ( this doesnt mean you can safely rev past the red line)

maybe a timing issue? id check the static timing and ign timing, and set the c/o pot to 450 ohms and see how it goes

Does he understand how to RR a G60??? you only rev it round until the power drops off, hopefully he was running some air into the IC at the time as well...

yes, there was a huuuuuuge fan infront of the car, after the initial panic of "balls to it, it must be fooked" ive calmed down a bit now.

as suggested im going to check the boost and set the co pot (will have a look through the how-to's for this)

will let you know how i get on.

cheers, karl.

right guys, bit of an update, checket the guide on matey-matey on how to check the boost and these are the results

settles at 500 on idle (guide states between 550-750 on idle)

in 3rd and 4th to redline i get 1800, 11.6psi, (guide states 2000 for a good charger with 68mm pulley, mine was rebuilt 3k ago at g-werks so can assume the charger is spot on).

although mine hits 1800 at around 5k revs and stays at 1800 to the redline, :? but does seem to pull better after 4k revs 8)

does this seem low toy you guys?, im only going on the guide on matey-matey.com

Do you have an AFR plot of the dyno run we could see ?

Also have you checked the cam timing as it sounds like it could be a tooth out to me .

im guessing by AFR you mean the graph they give you??, no i dont have one of these.

a mate has just bought a golf country chrome edition? from germany with a g60 under the bonnet and he will have it over here on saturday so im going to try swapping bits over from that to mine to see if i can cure it that way.

if its not something i can simply "swap over" then i will put it on that rolling road again for a graph and book it in with you for the day to fix it

i have 4 branch manifold and exhaust system to go on this car but i want to get it running rightbefore i start modding it.

karl.

As mentined a few times now, check your timing! Like Darren says this problem is screaming of the cam belt being out.

I would start there and confirm that the Cam pully, Intermedate Shaft, crank, and dizzy are all point to the correct marks at TDC!

ok, will get the cam timing checked first, was going to be looked at on saturday but my car is stuck at a local garage til monday night being MOT'd .

i have taken onboard what you guys advised, but as its not something i could do myself i just wanted something to keep me busy, so not this weekend, but next weekend i will get all the timing checked at the garage

ps if the cambelt is a tooth out we all get to take the pi55 out of Darren a little bit as he changed it for me last september when the charger was done :lol:

will keep you all posted how i get on.

cheers, karl.

Have you been putting up with this issue since last Sept? I guess not :)

If it is something that has-been/is getting progressevly worse it would point to the Crank bolt working loose

and your timing drifting out, maybe something else to check ;-)

well not really as since ive had it,(bout a year) its had a slight bottom end knock, car was off the road for 4 months early this year as the shells needed changing, (was in no rush to get it done as i had another car to run around in) while it was knocking i never put it above 3k revs, had the shells done around may, and have spent best part of june driving it steady to run it in, only recently really been able to put my foot down so its only now im really noticing the lack grunt.

is the crank bolt the one thats problematic??, the one that needs replacing for the dx code bolt??

karl.