Sign in to follow this  
coolrado

Camshaft oil seal keeps popping out

I noticed there where a few spots of oil on the ground where my car had been parked a couple of weeks ago and i just put it down to a leaky camshaft cover gasket, i replaced the gasket last week and it didnt stop the oil so after a bit of poking around i discovered that the camshaft oil seal had popped out and was happily spinning round on the camshaft sprocket :(

i did manage to push the seal back in but it didnt seem a very tight fit and just popped back out after a couple of days, which also stopped me going to the summer scorcher :mad:

There doesnt appear to be any excess pressure coming from the breather and it seems to be running as normal, i think it has just gone loose as a result of being removed and reinstalled a few times.

I have got a spare seal that came with my headgasket set but i didnt change it at the time, so i need to remove the camshaft sprocket to fit the new seal, i cant seem to find any info about locking the camshaft pulley while undoing the bolt and whether its a strtch bolt or not all i have managed to find is that it should be torqued up to 80nm (58ftlb)any ideas?

Err,what engine have you got?,8v,16v?

you'll also have to loosen the camshft retaining cap inorder to do a proper job,which also means that you'll have to remove the camshaft top cover.Once you removed the cam cover i find the simplest way of loosening the camshaft retaining bolt is to get a stout metal bar and wrap the bar in a rag,jam the bar into the crankshaft pulley's hole and rest the other half on the top of the cyl. head then loosen the bolt with a decent socket and ratchet.

Be carefull when re-tightening the bolt as sometimes when overtightened the small cast half moon on the cam sprocket can snap,without you noticeing it...,the torque figure you mentioned seems a little high for that bolt(16v bolt is 60lb/f),i don't remember the 8v bolt's figure off hand but i rekon it's less than 80lb/f.

Sorry, like it says in my sig its a G60 :lol:

the torque figure is from the dodgy russian site with all the vw workshop manuals here