Sign in to follow this  
DrBoost

Electrical woes??

Hello chaps. I'm considering my first Corrado purchase and I think a G60 would be the way to go for price reasons. My question is this:

are there serious problems I should be concerned with? I know the 'charger is only good for about 70K miles or so but I've been hearing (on non-vw forums) that there are electrical problems aplenty. Could you share some insight? I"m a mechanic but that doesnt mean I have the time or desire to constantly fix my ride so I'd like something moderately reliable.

Thanks.

BTW, I'm in the US so this would be a US spec car.

there are not really any more electrical issues with the corrado than any other car, apart from a crappy headlight loom which means the headlights produce about as much light as a pair of fireflies attached to the front of the car, uprated looms are availiable or you can make your own.

The resistor pack on the side of the blower fan is another popular one, it has a thermal fuse built in and causes the fan to only work on possition 4 when it fails, but its cheap and only takes about 2 minutes to change.

Any other electrical problems are usually caused by idiot aftermarket alarm installers, or by not disconnecting the blue and white wire when fitting a new stereo, the blue and white wire behind the stereo is a speed signal wire and if connected incorrectly usually blows the spoiler control module.

sunroof motors, window motors and the spoiler motors do also fail, but that is usually caused by lack of lubrication and maintainance, if the motor sounds like it is straining the mechanism should be stripped down cleaned and re-greased.

Thanks for the reply. I have always been in love with the corrado. It's one stunning car. I am looking for a daily driver that I won't mind driving daily and the Corrado is in the top 3 on my list.

Any other input would be appreciated.