Sign in to follow this  
richroberts

help with brakes!!!

Bascially, my breaks are shockingly bad it makes me think there has to be something wrong with them! whenever i press down hard on the pedal the car seems to veer and doesnt brake in a straight line!

i was doing approx 55mph (in a 60) and approached some traffic lights with a big queue, i started to brake and nothing major happend, i ended up having to swerve and when i stopped there was black smoke everywhere! Ive just bought the car and the system had just been bled, what could this be!its had new pads on the rear. Is my best option to get some 288 front brakes?

The car pulling to one side under heavy breaking would suggest a ceased front caliper. Check the caliper on the opposite side to the direction in which the car is pulling. With just one good caliper you would also notice bad braking in general.

yeah, that makes sense. check the calipers.

only thing that comes to mind for black smoke is from the tyres...did you lock them up when you came to a halt?

im pretty sure the smoke was from the breaks because there so bad i cant even lock the wheels! Gunna have to take them somewhere to get them checked out!

possible veering to one side reasons:

- camber on the road

- one sized caliper

- unbalanced front wheel/tyre

- badly worn tyres due to wrong camber/toe setup.

280mm discs + calipers+carriers off a G60 is an easy upgrade option, but costly.

black smoke is most likely pads if they are new.

Poor brake power can be due to poor fluid or old/split brake-hoses. Did you change the fluid or did the seller say that he had?

it just had new brake pads so im guessing they were some how set , up wrong. tires have only recently been replaced and balanced ruling that out. The brakes lock up way to easily especially the rear! I have a lot of like black oil on the one wheel which im guessing is brake oil. Will have to take it in to a mech to be safe, cant do emergency stops!

rears should never lock up

all wheels shouldnt lock up if ABS work

brake oil is only black if very very very very OLD.

, more likely somthing else leaking? ... not sure

:shock: but yeh, and oily substance on your tyres is gonna make is snake :?