Sign in to follow this  
livi1982

Snapped Wheel Stud

I'm having a nightmare. Bought new alloys, didn't fit properly, tyres too big, took them off. Put old wheels back on drove for 50 odd miles and stopped to check the studs were tight. And one of them snapped. Took car to garage and the boy reckons it needs hub and disc replaced. Cost 200 min. But he'd have to take it apart before he could say for sure. So now as well as having to buy new tyres for my new alloys that don't fit it looks like I'm replacing the whole setup. Mechanic says it's alright to drive with three studs just now. Just got to add it to my ever growing list of problems. I was considering replacing all the brakes because you can see them throu the new alloys, anyone got a rough estimate of how much that woud cost me, calipers, discs, labour? :pale:

was this a stud on the corner where your new wheels were wobbling? all sounds related.. have you checked all the other specs of them, not just the tyres?

new brakes all round depends whether you want an upgrade and what brands/quality you're after. maybe £200-250 for new discs and pads but these wont affect the "look". your calipers could be cleaned up and painted to achieve that (whether you stay standard or upgrade).

First off I would STOP driving the car until you have all 4 bolts holding the wheel on! VW put 4 on there for a good reason.

Second I don't see why you would need a new hub and disk(unless you've done some damage to them), just replacing the broken stud with a new one shouldn't be difficult.

was this a stud on the corner where your new wheels were wobbling? all sounds related.. have you checked all the other specs of them, not just the tyres?

What should the specs be? I've had so many people telling me different things I'm finding it hard who to believe. It is on the same wheel as the wobble. Think the thread on the hub might be damaged. Not 100%. It's booked into garage next week for something unrelated. Get them to look at it then. Should have just got a pro to fit the new wheels, saved myself all this nonsense. Thou if the hub was dodgy, guessing this would have happened the next time I needed new tyres or got a puncture.

First off I would STOP driving the car until you have all 4 bolts holding the wheel on! VW put 4 on there for a good reason.

Second I don't see why you would need a new hub and disk(unless you've done some damage to them), just replacing the broken stud with a new one shouldn't be difficult.

I'm not driving it unless to a garage.

Need new hub because the stud is jammed inside it. I thought it could be drilled out but not possible according to guy at kwik fit. Got it booked into mates garage next week. Think hub might have previous damage, same corner was wobbling when fitted new wheels.

Learned my lesson, going to get pro to sort this and fit new wheels, hopefully.

when kwik fit say not possible, they mean not possible for them to make a high enough profit margin on it... and thats if they know how to do it....

its simple enough to drill it out and get a big easy out into it. pre-soak it with loads of proper Plus-gas, not wd40, for a few days...

if it still wont budge drill it right out to just smaller than the bolt (M12..??) and run a tap through it.....

basically its up to you whether you want to spend £10 or £250......

pb

not sure how we figured you're on 3 studs, but yeh, all 4 needed.

Check the manuals etc and you'll see the torque setting isn't all that high as you'd expect. Garages often overtighten, causing thread to stretch and even strip or bolt shearing off. The 1ft long bar that comes in the boot is plenty enough leverage for an average bloke. Also use proper decent studs too - BBS, VW, McGuard.

I presume non of the thread is showing then. If say 2mm shows sticking out of the hub, you can saw a cut across the top of the broken stud and get a screwdriver on it. Or if there is more thread, then two thin nuts do a better job when locked together. Drilling out is your last, and VERY possible, option.

Also note that when putting the wheel on, make sure the surfaces are clean and the wheel sits flat/straigh onto the hub/DISC.

Cannot see how disc got broken ? (GSF sell Brembo for a cheap price and its easy to fit DIY.)