Sign in to follow this  
quicky1980

No Speedo on vr

Ive fitted a VR into my valver rado. Took it out today to find out that the speedo wasnt working, everything else works just dont get any speed reading.

now is this a fuse problem, or does it point to the sensor being faulty? if so how can i check without having to buy another sensor.

I am using a vr instrument cluster but cant say if the speedo was working before i fitted it. thanks

complete vr system, in engine,loom gearbox,instrument cluster.

can speed sensors be bought off any other vr? or does it have to be a corrado. was thinkin of getting it from ford.

any ideas how i can test mine?

I still have no speedo reading. I have VR instrument cluster,vr engine loom, vr engine/gearbox.

I have fitted a brand new vw speed sensor (gearbox end), the gear box's speedo gear looks in good condition.

So it looks to me I have a loose/bad connection. Which fuse looks after the speedo? Which wire controls the speedo?

any help is welcome.

I've got exactly the same problem as your car my friend,i also have the VR6 cluster but i've got a 02A Passat TDI 'box fitted to my 2.0 turbo16valve mill.The speedo at first works fine but as soon as you boot the bloody car with a bit of welly the needle drops to zero.

I noticed the problem after noticing that the speedo wires and connector were touching the 3inch downpipe from the turbo,i checked the wires and apart from having melted the external rubber protection the wires are fine and so are the small connectors.

I'll try and check tommorow to see if there is any other damage caused,not only do i not have a working rev-counter(Weber/Iaw injection) now the speedo's fu$ing around.

Let me know if you find your problem,i'll do the same.

I havent had chance to look for poss cause as I have just started my new job in peterborough and car is based in hereford so will take me a while to figure the problem out, but if i do i will post an answer. thanks

My bloody speedo hasn't messed about since...,the only thing that springs to mind is the 3 wire connector,possibly a loose small connector?

found out that the gearbox has the gear output missing which feeds the speedo sensor. is this a complete gearbox strip to fix, or simple drop in fix?

Burnt magnetic sensor on top of gearbox,aswell as frazzled black wire on fuse box,how the hell did the speedo worm drive dissapear??.

Burnt magnetic sensor on top of gearbox,aswell as frazzled black wire on fuse box,how the hell did the speedo worm drive dissapear??.

Sorry not sure what you mean about the burnt magnetic sensor or the frazzled black wire, unless your saying these could be the reasons for non functioning speedo. If the magnetic sensor is the part that sends impulses to the speedo, then that works because its a brand new item and i had a drill fitted to it and ran it to check wiring was good. This proved its a mechanical failure somewhere, but not sure what.

The gearbox came with the engine and I assume that the guy who had it before me attempted to do something to the gearbox to fix something and has forgot to put the speedo output part back in. So is this a strip down of the gearbox or simple plastic parts that can drop into the speedo output hole??

Sorry for not answering sooner,christmas...

Right,i was refering to the problems that i created,i shorted out the feed wire(black) on the coil,that same wire also feeds the speedo drive magnetic sensor.I fixed that by changing the affected black wires but the bloody speedo still did'nt work,i then swapped over the magnetic sensor head and it all works fine.

The actual speedo drive just unscrews off the top of the gearbox,first pull off the magnetic sensor very carefully 'cos the small plastic retaining tags break easiliy then get a 22mm spanner and unscrew the bugger,see if the worm drive is still attached because in your case it's possible that it has fallen off.

well i took some more time to investigate the no speedo problem, I know for sure its not electrical. Took all the speedo drive parts made from plastic out of the output hole on the gearbox and had a try to see what i could see in the hole itself.

Couldnt see anything and also couldnt feel anything inside, is it possible that the main gear inside the gearbox that drives the speedo is missing (previus owner may have done something to the gearbox before i testedthe speedo function)? Wouldnt that mean the gearbox wouldnt work thought?