Sign in to follow this  
BIG D

Fitting a Chip?

Just purchased a AMD G60 '94 chip off flea bay. Are they simple to fit and do they need any setting up.

I have got a 68mm pulley which I will fit on the same day I fit the chip.

Is it that straight forward?

Quite wasy once you've done it a couple of times,remove the ecu from the car,remove the plastic ecu casing's screws and pull off the casing,then you'll find a white plastic sheet that i never worked out what it's for?,anyway,remove that by sliding it off the two plastic pin head things,then remove the two small screws securing the circuit board,along with the two plastic pin head things that pull upwards and off,then try and compress the pin head's pins that also secure the board and lift up the upper half of the circuit board that's hinged to the bootom half.

Once you've managed to dismantle the upper half you'll then see a metal cover secured with about 5 small screws and nuts,undo them all,remove plates(remembering their order),you will then see the eeprom,carefully pull on the chip untill it disengages from it's chip holder and you've done it.

Remember to re-fit the chip with it's orientation notch opposite the holder's notch and don't bend or snap any eeprom feet when re-installing(quite easy...).

I personally would'nt settle for any other chip other that the SNS version because the other eeproms all contain Digilag which is a royal PITA.

HTH,be patient and take your time.

It's a kind of hesitation you feel when your accelerating,you'll def. see it if you have a narrow or wideband o2 sensor fitted,the car will show lean for about half a second then go rich.

I don't know why Vw engineered this awful fault into the Digichips,you'll also feel the difference when comparing the O/E eeprom with an SNS 'no-lag' chip.

Danny and Mkrad(SNS guys who uncoded the O/E chips) i think are the only people who managed to eliminate the lag.

They certainly know their shi$...