Sign in to follow this  
mbaker8v

DeCat pipe

My local mechanic has "suggested" a decat would be a good next step on my Corrado, and recommended the SuperSprint ones for quality and perfect fit. has anyone tried the Stainless Steel ones that are sold on Ebay coming over from Belgium? Anyone else decatted a C? Any comments?

i think the ones on ebay are raceland pipes, I picked one up from dubfreeze this year and its been fine for me, its only a section of pipe with a flange and a thread for the lambda so i cant really see the point in paying any more for a big brand one.

I stuck the black (not stainless) de-cat pipe on my G60 last year to try and avoid buying a new cat for the MOT. Unfortunately, it turns out mine is 2 or 3 months too young to get away with it (mine's on a K plate). I ended up repairing the old cat and sticking it back on. I dont think I get enough of a gain from the pipe alone to justify the hassle of removing+replacing it between MOT's.

Matt,

that depends on the attitude of your friendly local tester... I am lucky in that my local mechanic is a, very very good, b, reasonably priced, c, a VW nut and d, an MOT tester. he is quite happy to pass a vehicle with a cat bypass pipe fitted as long as the H/C, CO etc is correct at the inlet to the cat. Thats why he "suggested" I get one, as he will not be charging me to replace the cat and then remove it again after the test....

I think you've been lucky with your local tester. I looked around a fair bit for a place that I trusted to look after the car and do a good job but they wouldn't let it go. I live in Worthing if anyone knows of somewhere. (nudge,nudge, wink, wink) :lol:

I didn't notice a huge improvement with the de-cat pipe on but it was the only mod. Maybe it needs to be backed up by other things to see a noticable gain?

cant say i noticed the slightest differance when i decated my g60

remeber the supersprint decat has a built in silencer...something to consider if you dont want a loud car

i have a raceland decat for sale im getting rid of my g60 and cant be botherd to put it back on, it was only o for a week then i removed it to check the lambda sensor was working correctly for the mot then was going to put it back on and as i have to sell the g60 due to funds and girlfriend nagging i have to save money.

simon

i have a raceland decat for sale im getting rid of my g60 and cant be botherd to put it back on, it was only o for a week then i removed it to check the lambda sensor was working correctly for the mot then was going to put it back on and as i have to sell the g60 due to funds and girlfriend nagging i have to save money.

simon

Ill take it......PM'd you already.