Sign in to follow this  
ziderapple

Fixed penalty notice

I went out to my car the other morning to see a fixed penalty notice on my windscreen. I have only just got my car back on the road after an engine rebuild, I needed to use it, so instead of waiting a couple of weeks till october, I paid for the tax on the 20th, through the DVLA website - paying £99 for just over 5 months tax, great. Now I'm being slapped with a £60 fine for not having the disc on display.... it was in the post.

The thing that really pi$$es me off though is the fact the ticket was issued at 2 am!! Good police work there. I knew it was an offence to not have it on display, but I thought if I got stopped for it, then I'd be able to explain the situaton, and get off with a warning.

Its just a fu**king easy score for a copper, everything is on a database now, he would have checked this out - taxed, mot'd and insured, parked legally, but f##k it, I'll fine him anyway. Do we really still need tax disc's when it takes seconds to discover if a car is taxed or not..?

sorry, but it really got to me, esspecially as I'm skinto this month... traffic cops are wan**rs....(not the opinion of the forum)

can you refuse to pay the fine?

I know a lot of bikers who stick thier disc under the seat, as its so easy to steal it out of the holder and edit for use in casual inspections.

It's an offence to not display a valid tax disc on your vehicle. I asked the DVLA when I ordered mine online if I could drive it on the road as technically the car is legally taxed and was told no.

You could try to fight it, but I doubt you'd get anywhere unfortunately.

I'd try and fight it.

At the end of the day you'd only just got the car back on the road, it was mid month, and they must have records of when you applied for it.

If I'd bought a new car I'd have to have it outside my house on the road, if it wasn't taxed and I'd applied for it on the day I bought the car I couldn't display it until it arrived... Use this argument...

It's gotta be worth a try, what have you got to lose?

traffic cops are wan**rs....(not the opinion of the forum)

Nah... I think it IS the opinion of the forum :lol:

Opinions are like arseholes,everyone has one!

and this time we are all right 8)