Sign in to follow this  
Gangstarr

Changing clocks

I have recently changed my engine , I have a J reg 16v rado which had 125000 on the clock before I mistakenly leant It to a freind who ended up cooking the engine , rather than mess about changing the head and then having the bottem end go I thought it would be better to change the full monty. So I waited a whie scouring papers and ebay offcourse and eventualy I ended up buying a rado wich had done 85000 .The car was a none runner so it was a bit of gamble I decided to take a risk and go ahead I took the clutch and gearbox off my origional car knowing they were in good working order and fitted them on the donor engine . Anyway to get back to the question I tried to switch clocks but found a few differences on them on on the J reg the milage is digital and indicater lights are in a different place and also the breather pipe conector is metal on the donor car which is a G reg the mileage is on a counter and the breather pipe conector is plastic , so i switched them anyway and the only thing that seamed to work was the rev counter the mph needle didnt move and the milage didnt go up I ended up putting the origional clocks back in, So anyone had a similar problem or have any ideas . I also have loads of bits n bobs aswell as a decent shell as the car came with two complete interiors including dashboard etc also have a set of 5 pirreli P if anyone fancies them .

By the breather pipe, do you mean MFA vacuum pipe? I think the digital clocks use a digital speedo drive not a worm gear and cable, not sure though.

By the breather pipe, do you mean MFA vacuum pipe? I think the digital clocks use a digital speedo drive not a worm gear and cable, not sure though.

Yeah i think that sounds rite m8 , but there wasnt any other way to connect them apart from the way i did it electric feed in and mfa vacum pipe only way i could show you is by uploading pics of both clock if you want me to do that let us know plz

It is possible to retro fit a digital mileometer dash or vice versa, but I think the electrical connections (pin order) are different, the later dash has left and right indicator arrows too, the early one jsut a single bulb that flashes.

Yes, the early cars have a drive from gearbox, later ones an electrical sender on the top of the box.

There is a how-to somewhere on the web (USA Corrado club?) in switching dash types.