Sign in to follow this  
David Winter

Whats this bit do?

Hi.

Have a intermitent abs problem. Had a the fault codes read today. Came up with faulty pump. Question is what is this bit attached to the pump with a plug , two wires and a ceramic cylinder in a metal bracket. I removed it cleaned the contacts and replaced it and now the abs is down permanently. Can this part be replaced on its own or is it a coincidence. I dont understand its function.

Looks very like a large wirewound power resistor to me. No idea if it is anything to do with the ABS though. Unless you can see the leads linking up directly with the ABS it could very well be something to do with another system just mounted there because it was handy. Have a close look at it and look for any tiny burnt spots on the coil of resistance wire. When these go it is usually a weak spot having overheated and burnt through. This can be just the size of a pinhead at one spot on the wire coil. One tiny break and the whole thing is kaput.