Sign in to follow this  
Alexander

Low bite point on clutch - why?

Just bought my first C- 1991 G60 and I'm currently in the fun process of fixing everything that's wrong with it :( Getting pretty depressed but that's by the by.

The bite point on the clutch is very low - chappie at the wheel alignment place said I'd need a new clutch, is this likely? Similar problem on my Golf GTI was sorted with a new clutch cable but I understand the Corrado has a hydraulic clutch?

Would really appreciate some advice! Cheers!

The bite point on the clutch is very low - chappie at the wheel alignment place said I'd need a new clutch

Thats why he's not a mechanic! - as the clutch wears the biting point will become higher on the pedal travel...

Yep all C's come with a hydro clutch which is non adjustable, if yours bites low then you most likely have a leak in the system - check the slave cylinder on top of the gearbox, you may see traces of fluid on the box altho they leak internally at first...

Ha ha - excellent! God I love you guys... I'm always sceptical when some random grease monkey says "hey mate, you know your cars shagged don't you?". My trusted mechanic didn't mention the clutch at all, but the car's going back in to see him in a week or two for new drilled & grooved discs, pads, couple of brake hoses, brake fluid, crank bolt and possibly cambelt. If the clutch uses the same fluid as the brake system, it's likely he'll spot and fix the clutch problem too.

I will say though, driving into the wheel alignment place (it's actually in a Skoda dealership, oddly) got my first official chuftie - salesman stopped me and started quizzing me about the C! Slight blip in anotherwise stressful and expensive day!

Hmmm - thats not good, if it was a Skoda dealership they guy would have been a VAG trained technician - should know all about clutch hydraulics!