Sign in to follow this  
vr6paul

vr6 brake question

I fitted new discs and pads to my car last weekend as it was due. Around the inside edge of the discs there was about 1/2 inch where the pad was not gripping and so the disc had started to rust.

Now I see that the same is beginning on the new ones.

Not nearly as bad yet but any ideas?

Also got some squealing from them today.

Is this them just bedding in?

Any help please.

cheers

Paul

By inside edge, do you mean between the hub (bit at the center of the disk wot sticks out) and the flat braking surface, or do you mean on the back of the disk where the pad is supposed to grip?

If it's between the hub and the flat braking surface (either side of the disk), then a gap of about 1/2 inch is about right as this is a section that the pad doesn't touch so surface rust is to be expected there... 8)

If there is a rusty patch in the middle of either surface of the disk, then you have a real problem which needs looking into... :shock:

Squealing tends to be caused by the brake pads vibrating against something... A good coat of copperslip on the surfaces of the edge of the pad which makes contact with the caliper and carrier should prevent this, especially if you use the anti-rattle springs that should come with new pads....

I wouldn't worry about a little bit of squealing while bedding pads in, if it keeps doing it though, have a good look at them and think about some more copperslip! :D 8)

cheers

will look more carefully but i am sure the rust is starting on the braking surface but as i say i will have a closer look.

did copperslip them when fitted but will keep that in mind

cheers.

paul