Sign in to follow this  
skinnyman9000

Throttle problem

So, at the weekend i attacked my brakes because they were binding. To cut a long stort short i replaced the rear calipers and pads, put a new handbrake cable on, and bled the entire system. Didnt take it for a drive on sunday due to a slightly heavy satuday night, so i decided to try it tonight.

Started it on the drive, it hasnt moved for about 10 days so it ticked over at 1500rpm, blipped the throttle and it brought it back down to 1000rpm, all good. So, literally 1 min into my drive the throttle went awol. I'd dip the clutch to change gear and the revs would just climb! The throttle was stuck on, lifting the pedal slowed it down slightly. So now queue me driving home trying to change gear with my left foot, then with the right my toe is lifting the throttle and my heal is pressing the brakes! Got home onto the drive and stopped the engine. Started it again and the engine just continues raises and falls between 1k-2k, up and down, none stop. Look under the bonnet, the throttle cable isnt moving up still response when you use that, so i let go of it again and it just kept doing the same, raising and falling in revs.

Any ideas people?

On a positive note though the brakes work fine now!

Well i'd say either a sticking throttle cable, or some kind of leak in your intake pipework!

One of the guys at work has been through various corrados.

Due to the fact the throttle backs off when you lift the pedal he seems to think its the throttle cable getting caught. Had a check when i got in and it does feel pretty lax under the bonnet, not as tight as it should be. Apparently this is a common 'corrado problem area' (what isnt!)

This true?

One of the guys at work has been through various corrados.

Due to the fact the throttle backs off when you lift the pedal he seems to think its the throttle cable getting caught. Had a check when i got in and it does feel pretty lax under the bonnet, not as tight as it should be. Apparently this is a common 'corrado problem area' (what isnt!)

This true?

Tis true. I had to change the cable on my last 2 rados.

Have you tried squirting some form of Liquid Lube down the cable preferably PTFE based?

Used to get this with the old Air-cooleds and the cables on them are LONG! This was a regular maintenance thing (every year just before winter)

Have you tried squirting some form of Liquid Lube down the cable preferably PTFE based?

Used to get this with the old Air-cooleds and the cables on them are LONG! This was a regular maintenance thing (every year just before winter)

I haven't as yet. Is there any you can recommend so i can pop down the local halfrauds after work tomorrow? If i tell them what im looking for they'll end up returning with some shampoo!

Just rang the stealers and the cable is only £26 and will be in by saturday morning, so i think i'll be ordering one any, either to replace mine if the lube doesnt work, or just as a backup for when it does decide to give way