Sign in to follow this  
LukeManic

Squeak coming from brakes

Hi guys,

I've got a very annoying squeak coming from the driver's side front brake, it is consistently there until I apply the brakes - it then disappears. It sounds like the pad is touching the disc ever so slighly when the car is in motion. Any ideas on how to resolve this? I've recently had new pads & discs fitted to the front.

Cheers,

Luke.

If they are new pads then they probably werent greased up, as said copper grease the back of them.

Another trick i use is to schamfer the edges of the pad, which is basically smoothing the edges so they aren't so square, thats a big cause of squeeking brakes. Mine have never squeeked since doing this.

Hi guys, hope your all having a good Christmas. I don't have much time to work on the rado as much as I'd like to, so I'm going to make the most of my time off and sort few things out - hence my Xmas day post :p Can any of you guys explain to me how I go about getting to the the front pads and greasing the relvant side up? Will I need to push the piston in or should that be ok as I'm not actually going to be replacing the pads? Cheers!

if you get a screwdriver and pop off the metal spring thingy (if you have one) on the front of your calipers and then pop off the caps of the rubber slider surrounds you can then get to the bolts - they are probably allen key bolts, simply undo both of these bolts and the caliper will lift off the carrier, bringing the inside pad with it and leaving the outside one on the carrier.

all you have to do then is clean any crap off the carrier and copper grease it up where the pads slide on it and you can copper grease the back of the pads as well (the pad attached to the caliper just pulls out - should have just a couple of sprung bits of metal on the back of the pad which hold it into the piston)

for a picture of the black caps on the end of the rubber slider surrounds see the pic in the link below

download/file.php?id=47907&mode=view

hope that helps...

Griff, that was a great help mate. Thank you very much - I'll take it for a test drive later in the week to see if I've cured it :) - thanks again.

no worries mate - should have said before - make sure you clean all traces of copper grease off the discs and off the pad material before you drive it anywhere - sounds obvious, but people forget to do it; don't want your pads getting contaminated

Jon and Griff are spot on. Did you fix it yet?

Just one point to note when you do this job too; when you undo and do-up the bolts that hold on the carrier, they screw into the sliding pins - these have a nut head on them; hold this still with an open ended spanner while you undo the bolts, so as to prevent twisting and tearing the rubber sheaths (which if torn will cause the pins to rust and sieze up). Can clean copper slipp off the discs with meth or petrol - keep off rubber.

Hi mate, I've done the job and followed your tips too, thanks for those. Not had a chance to take it for a test drive yet as the weather has been bad. Thanks for your help guys!

Hi,

I've now greased the pads and have taken it out on a test drive. For the first 10mins or so I hear nothing and all is well, but give it 10mins+ the squeak comes back. I'm guessing it is heat releated? Just to confirm, the squeak goes as soon as you apply the brakes, and it also depends on how quick the car is going - for example if I'm coming to a stop then the squeak will happen less frequently based on the cars speed. I hope this makes some kind of sense. If anyone has any ideas about how to resolve this then I'd really appricate it!

Thanks!