Sign in to follow this  
belfastfumanchu

"Dunk" type noise when go over bumps

This post might not be under the correct section, but here's a prob I've had since I owned my 'rado.

When I drive over speed bumps (yes i go slowly) or if I drive the left hand side of the car over things like small potholes, a very bumpy road etc... there's a really desperately annoying "dunk" type noise coming from the rear left wheel/suspension.

Theres absolutley nothing in the boot thats making the noise, so I was wondering does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing it?

Do you find that if you hit a fairly serious pot hole at any sort of speed you get the most HORRENDOUS bang noise come up on that side as well?

I've been through endless work on mine and all that seems to be left is new suspension.. its on my list to be done immediately after xmas as I think the damper on the left side is completely shot!

Yeah you might call it a bang, but I call it a dunk type noise :D - Either way it is horrendous and I want it fixed. Would like an idea of what the prob is before leaving her in.

Could worn suspension bushing cause it?

Do you also find it makes a bit of a metallic 'ping' noise on some occasions too? Sorry for the random descrptions - i'm just trying to see if its similar to what I get!

Bushing wise - i've had new top mounts and new wishbone bushes (front and rear) at the front of the car. It's made jack all difference and has been progressively getting worse.

Heh.. well my car has adjustable dampers and the damper on the 'bad' side actually changes the firmness setting by itself. So I think its something to do with the damper itself :| I'd be peeved if it was a broken spring as i've taken it to a garage for examination and they could find nothing obviously wrong..

One suggestion I had that might be applicable for yours is worn anti-roll bar bushings..?

Exhaust knocking on the rear beam?

Thats my guess too, i had this issue too and one of the hangers was a little torn letting it have play and make the knocking noise

i have this too, on passenger side rear, changed all suspension and had it apart so can't see it thats on mine.

could it be to do with axle bushes?

I think its the bushes. Had a similar thing on my *shame* astra. Never got round to replacing them, but you could see they were shagged. Have you had a look under the car at the bushes? If they are really knackered they will be splitting and 'leaking' out the sides.

I'll put it on the ramps and check bushes more thoroughly.

I forgot to say that the noise appears a lot more when theres people sitting in the back - especially when sitting in the back left.

Almost definately the exhaust hitting on the rear beam, the gap gets tighter when you have people in the back as the beam swings up, rear suspension struts dont clonk like front ones do when the bearings are shot.