Sign in to follow this  
quicky1980

Grinding/Rubbing Noise

I have this anoying grinding/rubbing sound coming from what appears the front of the car. Ive had the car on axle stands and rotated all four wheels and cant hear it, it only seems to appear when driving.

This is in a car thats been converted from 2.0 16v to VR6 and so most mechanical items could could be at fault due to dodgy seller. The noise has been there since the conversion.

Options Im thinking;

Dead bearings

Wrong Driveshafts (The drive shafts are vr and the cv's are 16v. Using vr uprights and pressed in 16v hubs)

Gearbox on its way out

any ideas or tips to find the source of the problem?

thanks

i'm afraid i don't know enough about the different bits used by all the different corrado models to offer a definite answer, but is it possible if a load of stuff has been swapped over that someone has put some wheels on there with the wrong offset for the hubs that are on the car - have you taken all the wheels off and looked up into and around all the arches?

also does the noise come and go or is it there all the time? - if its there all the time then it's probably not the above suggestion...

does it get louder with speed and when you go round bends fast (possibly a bearing), or is it louder when turning at slower speeds (possibly the driveshafts/cv joints...)

i'm afraid i don't know enough about the different bits used by all the different corrado models to offer a definite answer, but is it possible if a load of stuff has been swapped over that someone has put some wheels on there with the wrong offset for the hubs that are on the car - have you taken all the wheels off and looked up into and around all the arches?

also does the noise come and go or is it there all the time? - if its there all the time then it's probably not the above suggestion...

does it get louder with speed and when you go round bends fast (possibly a bearing), or is it louder when turning at slower speeds (possibly the driveshafts/cv joints...)

The noise is always there, I had a look for rubbing with the wheels but looks all clear.

It doesnt seem to get louder with speed, well not that noticeable over the general driving noises. It happens when going straight and round corners.

only driven a few miles so far so still learning the characteristics of when and how the noises occur.

just trying to help, its always best and easiest to poke about your self for free, rather than a garage charge you. Hope someone can give direct answers to your queries, but some suggestions could be:

- yes, drive shaft can definately be wrong. Does the VR require stiffer springs? Just that some folk say that a low ride can knacker your shafts.

- does it make the noise when on lock, or just a straight line?

- noise happens under accelleration only?

- all wheels are on tightly, no debris in engine bay, wheel hubs on straight too?

- also note that you're sat in the front of the car. Anyone listened out in the back?

If you're handy with a spanner, the shafts and joints aren't too bad to take apart. otherwise go see a friendly mechanic.

just trying to help, its always best and easiest to poke about your self for free, rather than a garage charge you. Hope someone can give direct answers to your queries, but some suggestions could be:

- yes, drive shaft can definately be wrong. Does the VR require stiffer springs? Just that some folk say that a low ride can knacker your shafts.

- does it make the noise when on lock, or just a straight line?

- noise happens under accelleration only?

- all wheels are on tightly, no debris in engine bay, wheel hubs on straight too?

- also note that you're sat in the front of the car. Anyone listened out in the back?

If you're handy with a spanner, the shafts and joints aren't too bad to take apart. otherwise go see a friendly mechanic.

- VR does need stiffer springs but I have coilovers on which seem to cope quite well with the extra weight. The cars been lowered loads, but I didnt have any noise prior to the engine cheange.

- Noise seems to be when going forward, back, left and right. But more noticeable when going straight.

- Noise is constantly there, on acc, deceleration etc

- Wheels are on tight and cant see any debri. Hubs look straight and the wheels rotated well when it was last jacked up.

- I havent had anyone in the car yet, but will get someone in the back incase its the rear wheel bearings

Im hopefully going to lift the car up again this weekend, and ill put load on the wishbones so that the springscompress. I should then be able to here where its coming from.

According to ETKA the driveshafts for the vr and 16v are the same length, so I dont think this is the ussue, Im reckoning the cv's are no good even thought they arent that old.

thanks, will let you know if i find out more

I had a look at the car on the weekend, raised the car up completely off the ground and put load on the uprights so that the springs where compressed. Rotated all the wheels and didnt hear anything abnormal to point out my problem.

So Im stuck. All I know is that there is a rubbing, "rasping", nocking sound coming from front (80% sure) that gets louder as I accelerate. Doesnt change in sound when breaking or cornering.

Could it be a gearbox problem???? Im really stuck for ideas