Sign in to follow this  
skinnyman9000

Gearbox oil

Hello people.

Now then, how often does the gearbox oil need changing? Its not been changed whilst the car has been in my hands, which is approaching the 2yr mark. I ask because want it keep it in good condition and fend off the dreaded 2nd gear linkage issues for as long as possible.

Also another odd thing with my gearbox, all the gears are pretty good apart from reverse. If i just push down then into reverse it doesnt appreciate it, and i get a horrible grinding noise. However, if i push the gear lever down, then back up, then down again say 3-4 times, and then select reverse, it slides in a treat. Any ideas why?

Cheers for any help

VW say sealed for life - I say every 4-5 years - maybe as often as things like cambelt etc..

Change it for the cheap VW first and see if it makes a difference, if so use it as a flush and stick redline MT90 in there - really helps with syncromesh type issues..

VW say sealed for life - I say every 4-5 years - maybe as often as things like cambelt etc..

Change it for the cheap VW first and see if it makes a difference, if so use it as a flush and stick redline MT90 in there - really helps with syncromesh type issues..

as does VW's own fully synthetic which was cheaper than ordering MT90 for me.

it takes a while for everthing to stop spinning in the box to get a quiet shift into reverse they don't like to be rushed.

i agree with supercharged - i would say about every 60k miles ish (depending on how hard you drive it)

i can also recommend castrol syntrax which is a high quality universal fluid that people with imprezas etc are big fans of.

you should be able to pick that up from most high street outlets as well if mail order is a pain in the arse

it takes a while for everthing to stop spinning in the box to get a quiet shift into reverse they don't like to be rushed.

Even when initially starting off? (i have to reverse off my drive)

Even when initially starting off? (i have to reverse off my drive)

You have the car in neutral with the engine running yes? so the main shaft will be turning, things need to line up and reverse has no synchro.

Sounds odd but with thick cold oil you can get enough drag to move things too, almost like a torque converter in an auto box.

A combination of selecting other gears with the clutch in first and waiting a few seconds before going for reverse usually sorts it, fully synthetic oil (better for cold starts) can help too.

I do the selecting other gear method too and just take the time to put it in as been said they dont like to be rushed.

Imagine the quaiffe 6 speed box without the syncromeshs for a normal road, daily drive car, no thanks.

Ah, thats ok then. As long as its a normal thing. Just didnt want it to be yet another niggle to add to the growing list.

I think i'll be changing the gearbox oil then when it gets serviced in a few months, ready for the spring/summer weather.

i find slotting it into 3rd before reverse stops any interference.

changed my gear oil for standard vw stuff last year, first time it was ever doner i imagine

I used the standard, current VW gearbox oil. Its really cheap and it made a noticable difference! But as Supercharged says, ultimately some Redline MT90 is pretty damn good. Also really good, apparently, is Silkolene Syntran 5...

remember to get a nose plug when you do it, gear oil smells _so_ bad :doc: :doc: :doc: :gag:

synthetic doesn't, it has no smell really, easy way to tell what's currently in there.