Sign in to follow this  
mrbeige

Hub removal

Just trying to get the hubs off my breaker and the 30mm(?) nut that holds the CV joint is being a complete bee-atch! Anybody have any pointers? Will I need some sort of impact wrench? And does the thread go the opposite way to what you expect?

In the past I've resorted to jumping up and down on a 1m breaker bar to get it loose. Can be a right bugger to get loose alright!

Nah, it's just as tight as a motherrutter.

Are the hubs on the car? Are the brakes still attached? If not you're in for a mare. I use a 3/4 bar and socket. you'll need to stop the hub rotating so use wheel bolts and a long bar to stop it rotating. And get a fat man to sit on it for good measure.

Best way is with the wheels on the ground and the handbrake on. Then use a 3/4 inch socket and bar, preferably a big long breaker bar. I used a medium sized socket bar and a long length of scafolding pole. Even then it's a nightmare to crack the nut, the whole car will tend to move!!

If the hub is off the car i would recommend taking it to a garage and asking them nicely to do it for you.

Hmmm, I'm in for a nightmare then! Wheels, brakes off the car and even with the wheels on, there is no weight up front as there is no engine. Steve, I think you're right, I need air!

Anyone local who has an impact wrench?

You could try taking the whole assembly off, ie hubs, and driveshafts. and place the hub into a large heavy vice thats clamped down. Put bolts into two holes and clamp tight. then try with a large lever

see how you get on - but with those you may even struggle with air as home compressors/air tools generally aren't man enough for the job.

your best bet is probably to take it to a garage - good luck anyway :)

Cheers for the advice guys. Left it for now, will have a word with my colleagues at work to see if they have the corrects tools for the job....