Sign in to follow this  
diggerbucket

AARGH VR6 dumped all its coolant this morning!!!

Just approaching work this morning and about 50m from parking up I noticed the water light flashing. Drove up to my space and soon as I stopped there was steam everywhere and the Corrado decided to dump what looked like ALL its coolant on the ground!

Can't really get my head underneath to see cos it's too low, but from above it appears to be leaking from behind a circular thing at the front middle of the engine with an alloy hex nut on it - is that the oil cooler? If not what is it?

Do these things have a tendency to pop? There's no mixing of the oil and water as far as I can see (just topped up oil and water yesterday so would've noticed), it just seems to have gone suddenly!

the oil cooler is basically between the engine and the oil filter..........whats also quite near there too is the Thermostat housing...chances are its this........if its the stat its fairly common as they get brittle with age

It could well be the so-called "crack pipe". (Is it called this because it cracks or am I being a little naive for comic effect.........??).

Anyway, it's a large diameter, hard, brittle plastic pipe, prone to failure, that runs across the front of the engine, connecting the bottom hose to the thermostat housing. They go wrong with no warning and then your water dribbles out. Which reminds me; I must have that prostate examination.

It's a fiddly job to do (the crack pipe, not the prostate examination) but the parts are relatively cheap.

Best wishes

RB

Jacked it up today for a look, still not 100% sure but looks like it may be the pipe going into the oil cooler. One thing's for sure, it looks like an absolute bastid to get to without taking a lot of the front end off :( Can hardly get my hands in for a feel, never mind starting to take bits off!