Sign in to follow this  
lee_golf_v5

headlight switch not activating dash lights.....

When i turn on my headlights i do not get the dash lighting up. The guy told me that he had replaced the switch with a mk2 golf switch because it was smoother and nicer to look at but as a result it did not trigger the dash to illuminate. does this sound right? and how easy would it be to fix??

Lee

Stupid Q have you tried filling the rehostat next to the switch to make sure it's not turned right down?

If it's not that simply replace with the correct switch?

Don't see how Mk2 Golf switch is any better than late Rado ones (which don't fail like our early ones.. I'm about to buy my 3rd!)

Stupid Q have you tried filling the rehostat next to the switch to make sure it's not turned right down?

sorry but what is a rehostat, i have never had a corrado, or a car of this age before so please have some patients with me. are you reffering to the scroll type switch next to the light switch?

and if i replace the switch, is it easy enough to just pop in to a vw dealers?

Lee

I have a mk2 one i think on mine got replaced with that as less chance of something snapping as in the late corrado ones!! There should be a that turns up and down next to the switch as you get in all cars to turn the brightness up or down!! Is it just the screens near the dials that arnt working or are they all not working eg. heater controls light??? If its just the dial ones then might be just the bulbs have gone!!

sorry but what is a rehostat, i have never had a corrado, or a car of this age before so please have some patients with me. are you reffering to the scroll type switch next to the light switch?

and if i replace the switch, is it easy enough to just pop in to a vw dealers?

Lee

Yeah little scroll/wheel thing next to the switch.. just have a fiddle and see if it makes a difference.

As John says if just dash pod lights out and not the rest (heater controls/ and all the switches) then sounds like bulb replacement time..

All VW's have had some sort of "dash dimmer" ever since the days of the beetle..

it is everything, dash and heater controls, none light up. feels like i am driving a stealth car at night, but nice to know my speed for cameras though lol!

Lee

Should pull off in some way but dont quote me if it breaks!! :lol:

Pops out easily. Just use a thin, flat screwdriver blade to gently prise the switch away from the dash.

Same thing happened to myself recently, caused by some sort of dodgy connection with the dimmer switch. Can't remember exactly how I fixed it, but remember it was really simple - less than a minute!

Use the search box. I was able to find a tread on here that explained the fix in more detail.

found the problem, the rehostat was not making contact properly, not sure if my fix is any good, but i have wedged some rubber inbetween the contacts, meaning that when the lights are switched on the dash lights up now, but there is no dimming as i am scared the rubber will pop out. are there any issues with permanant contact?? or is this the way it always is, just set at the level you desire?

Lee