Sign in to follow this  
Spykee

Need Some Clarification

hey everyone,

i know its been covered before but i can find the info that i am looking for already in the threads!

right then: is there a difference between an early and a late front wing??? i know a couple of people saying there is and then others that say there isn't? :?

i know that my car is colour code LY3D Tornado Red. i know that this is the colour cos i have checked in the boot on the original sticker.

saying that it looks like i have a late bonnet as its raised in the middle as follows: __-----__

i know that the transition was about aug '91 but i think that mine is an April model cos thats what the stickers say on the inside of some interior panels.

another problem which doesnt help is that i know the change in the UK is between M and N in the VIN number but where abouts in the VIN is that? is it the small one in the middle before the second set of letters!

i know its german so am presuming that would make a difference?

my VIN is WVW***50 z MK011***

can anyone help??!!! :?

WVW***50 z MK011*** That's your M

Aparently the later front wings are wider than the earlier ones... I've yet to compare 2 cars to see the difference, so I can't comment more than that...

It's a fair bet you'll have later wings if:

You've got an up-y not down-y bonnet,

You've got flush fitting fogs and indicators in the front bumper,

You've not got brake cooling ducts (although if you have it doesn't mean that it's an older one! :roll: )

The trim line on the front bumper simply fades out at the same level as the rest of the line rather than sweping around and finishing on the top surface of the bumper.

You've got a 3 slat grill (with no modifications)

And that's about all I can think about, unless you've got a 1.8 16V handy to compare with, 'cos then you'd be able to compare the wing, ( :? ) headlamp and rubbing strips to see if they're the same or not... :lol:

Good luck!

i still dont get the bonnet thing but everything else seems to indicate that its an early one!

the fogs are upright, 7 slat grill and i have brake cooling ducts! :?

['H3R4POR]sounds like you've got a pick and mix car mate :shock:

VW did have a nasty habbit of doing odd things like this as they got close to a facelift... It wouldn't suprise me... :roll:

Your best bets are to ask at a VAG stealer (may be able to tell you from Chassis number) or find someone close to where you live with a known age 'rado and park 'em side by side! :roll: :lol:

Good luck anyway LHD-G60

it's easy to tell one you teach yourself what to look for

look at the top of the arch, where the horizontal bit joins the wing. if it's got a distinct horizontal area about 6-8mm wide then it's an early one, if it's not as well defined and seems to blend into the upper part of the wing more, then it's a late one.

this is a late one, not how the "flat" bit between the arch bulge and the wing is about 12mm wide all the way round.

OK,

PhatVR6 now i am starting to feel 'reeely fick!' :?

i had a look at the car just now but what horizontal bit do you mean that joins the wing?? is it:

1)the lip that the black plastic bump strips are sitting on?

2) the lip thats under the bonnet that bolts the wing to the rest of the body?

3) is it the crease that runs horizontally down the upper part of the wing that continues along the door and underneath the back window to the back end of the car?? (this is from looking straight at the side of the car)

my car appears to have 2 parallel creases down the wing, one on the upper part (but is by no means sending the wing horizontal at the top) and then has another one just underneath the side repeater that is broken up by the contour of the wheel arch flair.

the only other horizontal areas are the ones that i have stated in 1&2! :? :?

i have figured out that i do have an early style bumper cos its got the crease that runs along the top at the front (above the numberplate recess) which continues around the sides and then curves up over the top just before the wheel arch! i also have early indicators and fogs!

Proper confused by the wing thing tho!! :? :roll: