Sign in to follow this  
boost monkey

strange wiring issue to ISV

Hi guys,

has anyone heard of the 2-pin connector to the ISV basically pulsing a 12+ signal for a split second with ignition on and then completely turning off?

Tried this on my 16v by bridging an LED across the ISV connector and it literally flashes once and then goes off.

Plug it into the G60 with the ignition on and the light stays on.

Is there loom damage or are there other things to check?

Thanks for the help,

Jon.

not 100% sure but looks like the 16v is opening the second you start the car then closing right away where as the G60 is staying opened...you wil probably find that as the engine warms up, the valve will close (voltage drops off).

Looks like the ISV is getting the wrong signal...is it lumpy on idle or what?? Possibly a coolant temp sensor giving the ecu the wrong reading so it thinks its up to temp and closes??

Andy

Doesn't even start buddy.

took the ISV out and kinda bridged the gap with the 2 ISV vac pipes, but it idles around 3000rpm and is overfuelling big time. exhaust is belching out petrol and white smoke (possible timing issue, yet to be confirmed)

i'm intrigued about the coolant temp sensor... where can i find this and how can I check it?

I'm so used to looking at the blue temp sensor, but the 16v doesn't have one!

Bro, we checked the temp sender on the dizzy end of the block with the multimeter, it read about 2k (IIRC) at about 80C, so 'in spec' according to the Haynes (Golf 16V K-jet).

Think you might have been busy and not noticed me do that - I was measuring resistance between the exposed pin and the collar, after removing the wire with the latched plastic cover.

However... that multimeter did measure my battery at 19.5V and I know that it is actually about 13.5-14V, so the resistance reading could have been well off! :roll:

Or I could have been measuring the wrong sender! Hope not :oops:

Any ideas people?

Thread resurrection/loose end tie up!

First hand experience now shows that we had a dead ISV, if I recall correctly :roll:

The ECU pulses the 12V power to the ISV to maintain idle, it varies the duration of the power (mark/space ratio or duty cycle) in order to regulate the idle speed by varying the amount of air that goes through the valve.

Any ISV that does not pulse when connected to a known good loom is duff. :wink: