Sign in to follow this  
lee_golf_v5

Center of exhaust hanging off....

Noticed this today, or rather someone behind me noticed and told me, but a clip or something must have broken as part of my exhaust is hanging VERY low. Is this something i can fix my self if I was to jack it up and take a look? Or does it look like something expensive which I hope it isn't.....

Lee

Looks like you have just lost a rubber exhaust hanger. Only cost a few quid from Halfarts and takes 5 mins to fit yourself (most of that time would be spent jacking up the car :lol: )

Looks like you have just lost a rubber exhaust hanger. Only cost a few quid from Halfarts and takes 5 mins to fit yourself (most of that time would be spent jacking up the car :lol: )

Ok, I am not great with cars yet, still learning but if I bought this part, could you draw or point out the place where I would need to attach it please haha....

Lee

No prob!

You have prob lost one of the little rubber hangers (labeled '15' in the pic)

While you are checking them take a look at the other exhaust hangers for the backbox (circled blue) just to make sure they are all there / in one piece!

No prob!

You have prob lost one of the little rubber hangers (labeled '15' in the pic)

While you are checking them take a look at the other exhaust hangers for the backbox (circled blue) just to make sure they are all there / in one piece!

So it is just a case of hopefully replacing the rubber hanger and attaching number 20 and number 18 together again keeping the exhaust inbetween?

Looking at that diagram though I am curious as to why its hanging to one side of the car, it looks like it should be attached through the middle, so if one of 2 hangers goes should it not still be kind of balanced untill the second one goes? Im a novice so sorry if this is a bit mundane for you lol!

Thanks

Lee

Yeah, hook no. 20 and the exhaust basically are suspended from hook no. 18 (which is bolted to the underside of the car)

When the rubber hangers get old they can stretch, so I reckon you have the right hand rubber hanger (in the diagram) missing, and the left hand one could well be stretched allowing the exhaust to hang down like that.

It will be pretty self explanatory once you get under there and take a look. :wink:

These are the sort of jobbies you are after. Only cost a pound or two and you can get them in all/most motor factors:

ExhaustHanger.jpg

My local tyre/exhaust place had to order these in, as they were slightly different to anything else they had. Was around £10 for the pair IIRC.

Just stuck my head under in the car park and didn't seem to see too much, is it something I really need to be underneath for?

Is there any other possible cause if this rubber hanger is not the culprit??

Lee

I could be difficult to see by just sticking your head under there, unless you know exactly where to look. Maybe if you could get your hands on a torch it may make things easier?

It will be one of the parts in the diagram I included above that has failed. Most commonly it would be the exhaust rubber, but could also be due to corrosion on the exhaust itself, causing the hanger part of the exhaust to snap off (probably need a new exhaust centre-box in that case). It could also be the hanger on the underside of the car has got damaged.

Lee whereabouts are you? Not on your profile.

Maybe worth asking if a member who has a free couple hours coming over and walking you through your issues over the weekend?

I can remember what it's like being a relative newbie to things.. (am still am on a lot of other bits still!)

I'm not too far away from you, just up in Uxbridge.

I'll hopefully be working on my car on Sunday, so if you are still stuck, feel free to pop around and I can take a quick look under your car for you.

it all seemed ok when i got under it today?? nothing seemed detached at all...... is it because my car is lowered that it is this far off the ground.... what i did notice is the rubber hangers were alot longer than the one in the picture above, could they have stretched...

only thing is the exhaust didnt seem to have much play when pushing it up....

Lee

Probably stretched. Mine were the same- I didn't realise how much until I saw the new ones! :shock: :lol: