Sign in to follow this  
ProdigalSon

Ghetto voltmeter... well, it works!

Had an amusing idea last weekend while trying to troubleshoot bay wiring without a proper multimeter.

I had a couple of 12V LEDs in the car that I haven't fitted to my headlight loom control box yet, so took one out and put it across the ISV wiring - lo and behold, it showed that the power was being switched on briefly with the ignition but was immediately switched off too. The blip was so quick that a multimeter probably would've missed it, but it was plain to see on the LED.

Score 1 for the ghetto voltmeter! :lol:

Any other examples of bodgetools? I know boost monkey had an awesome clutch alignment spacer... :wink:

I know my old man was changing the springs on his MG Midget and didnt have a spring compressor so he used the weight of the car by lowering it against another jack and compressing the spring.. Bit cowboy but ii worked so happy days...

Nice!

When we changed the suspension on my old Audi 80, we toyed with the idea of not using compressors as they were really tricky to position without fouling inside the arch, but when we realised that a loose spring could take your face off, we left them on! :shock:

Bit annoying when you get everything connected up, unwind the compressor, and realise that it's wedged behind the spring *sigh* :roll:

"Field" Camper van engine removal tools:

4 tonne Trolley jack, 2 Breeze blocks and tall axle stands... gets the back of the van high enough to drop the whole engine out and drag it out without removing anything off it!

:lol: I can just imagine a camper with its *rse up in the air and the engine being pulled out from underneath!

Come on people, I know you have more craziness to share :wink:

Perhaps we should award a trophy for the most outrageous bodgery...

As a point i suspect you used a digital voltmeter, an analogue should show up instantly even if its a small short blip of power where the digital takes a split second to display the reading and as you say never showed up.

As a point i suspect you used a digital voltmeter, an analogue should show up instantly even if its a small short blip of power where the digital takes a split second to display the reading and as you say never showed up.

Didn't have any voltmeter to hand, either analogue or digital, but you are right that an analogue meter would be much faster to react, so you probably would see a brief needle 'bump', although it might not get to the 12V mark on the scale depending on how short the electrical pulse was...