Sign in to follow this  
2_Door_fun

Intercooler I swapped the

Hi all. Not posted for sometime but I'm still here and the yellow G60 is now nearing paint..So I have been in need of a new IC as the original was crushed in the hit the car took a year back.

So......I treated the old G60 to this... 8)

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/compressor/?action=view&current=IC2.jpg

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y202/compressor/?action=view&current=IC1.jpg

So is it a G60 IC or a Rallye IC? I have the front of the car in bits.. AGAIN :lol: and the thing seems to be a bit wider than the space will fit. SO i'm thinking its a Rallye.. SO what needs to be done to fit it don't want to go cutting before the info arrives.

Glad to see the forum is going well..

Rob

gotta take the towing eye off to fit a rallye cooler, a worthwhile sacrifice i would say!! get the hacksaw out!

It seems the Tow eye can be kept if you read the 'How to' on the web site I found with in forum posts...

Click on ...Umbau und Reparatur' Its a good 'How to'.

Just copied what was on there. Still got a long way to go but i'm in no rush. The 60 has to go for a full re-spray in a month or two.

Hi all.

Im having trouble with the rad...How do you get the IC to fit square? The rad seems to be in the way! If I take it off its two peg mount I am unable to move it firther back due to the fan shroud hitting the starter n stuff!!

Does the Rallye IC actually fit square where it should ie it has two ocating pegs do these fit the locating holes ?

Cheers

Rob

I'm fitting one at the moment and i over came the radiator problem by cutting the nipple off the radiator (1 nearest the charger) and plastic welding it back on an inch further forward :D not finished yet but seems to sit right. Also have to find a slightly longer screw and you can fix the ic and rad together through the hole on the outlet side (front face) of the ic. if that makes any sense :scratch:

You need to do some trimming to the top of the ic to clear the slam panel and the bonnet cable, not done it on mine yet but theres a write up in the wiki and darren (g-werks) identifies the areas needing trimmed :D

HTH

Andy

Hi Andy..

Thanks for that Doh now I feel propper Huh.. I checked the Knowledge base but didn't spot it...FMIC!! I was looking for Intercooler fitting DDOH!

I have some more shots of the IC going in. I got alot further yesterday welding the cuts I have made but the RAD seems to be up tight against the charger return pipe. Is that correct? Also I had to remove the fan to take the rad back a bit as it was fouling against the starter n stuff.. I have a spal fan to fit anyway so its not a big deal just anywhere I have read there is no mention on the fan?

Cheers bud I shall crack on at teh weekend.

Rob

Nice work rob :D

do you mean the boost return pipe? I wouldn't know the clearance issues there, i've removed mine :lol: Not had any problems with the rad or fan on mine, after i realised i needed about and inch on the charger side, i relocated the radiator and all seems to be fine :D

stick up yours pics, would be good to see how youv'e approached it :lol:

I'll try and gets some pics up, to show you how mine is sitting hard to describe everything eh?! just trying to get a free minute to do it :lol:

Are you going to be using a rallye u-bend or making something up?

Andy

Hi Andy.

Here ya go few more shots,

As you can see the Pass side peg on the IC is not in its hole and the Drivers side Rad peg is not in place either.. Also The Rad fan n housing is removed. If I get the IC peg in the mount hole I'm propper forcing the Rad up against the Battery and the Return system??

If I take the rad of the pegs then the IC sits OK? The front shot is with the Pass side peg still out of its mount, but as I said the fan is removed and the cowl. They seem to hit the starter n stuff???

All other build ups I have read show the IC going in with a little work n yr away but the job so far has been interesting. Maybe the IC is twisted but it seems not to be when I took a look.

In the Wikki write up that the man of G has written he mentions removing a 'TAB'??? What does that mean cutting off one of teh rad pegs as you have done??

In answer to your question on a U-Bend I was going to get a 180 hose but looking at it I think I'm gonna get the real Rallye outlet and do it propper.

Cheers for the replys

Oh g-dub cheers for that on the biiiiiiiig rad I took a look for one wow its massive. Does that fit in the Corrado??? Theres hardly an room now Lol

Rob

Hey Rob, maybe try taking the boost return off see if it helps with the clearance? I believe the 'tab' that g-man is talking about is the metal one on the chassis leg that the slam panel bolts to, because it gets in the way of the ic outlet :D you know the one I mean? you probably removed/bent it without realising :lol:

I agree with what your saying the guides etc I read are the same ones you have and I thought they look easy too :lol: but suprisingly i've not had any real clearance issues :D

Got some pics of mine tonight, hopefully they will help :D

http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u242 ... 20install/

Peg Relocation-Picture 003

Clearance between rad and ic-Picture 007

They basically should run side by side like this(I think :lol: )-picture 008

Clearance from charger-picture 010

From the front- picture 011 and 012

Sorry my photos must be too big they wouldn't upload :(

Only other thing i can think that would be stopping the ic sitting right would be the clearance against the toeing eye? Is it hard up against it when it's located in the correct pegs? didn't look like it in your pics though

Oh and if your looking for rallye u-bends and you don't mind a replica http://www.rp-motorsport.de/en/g-lader/g60-tuning.htm (half way down the page)

Andy

morning morning.. Cheers for the shots.. looking at your build n mine I don't feel so ban now Lol :D HEHE ahh a driver after me own heart...I love it when the neighbors walk past!!!!

All seems very much the same when looking at the clearance at the charger return pipe area. I did think about removing the rad peg but your idea seems good. What did you use to weld the peg back on?

I think maybe I need to remove a little more metal from the tow eye to get the IC to sit true and in its own space kinda so its free to move a little not forced in when I attach or try n avoid anything. Still can't believe I missed that 'How To' in the Knowledge base !!!!!

I also saw that if I use a longer screw I can attach the rad n IC together at the battery side. So all in all I'm relieved it seems to be going to plan..

As for the tab for the slam panel...yeah that came off with the grinder.

yeah that U bend is nice GWerks also do em in Supercharger section. I did think about Silicone n stuff but I reckon the real thing is better. Just a money pit is the G60 but its my money pit hahahahahahahahha

Cheers for sticking with the questions Andy

More pictures to follow

Rob

No bother matey, glad i can bounce somethings off someone who is doing it at the same time :D

My neighbours must hate me :lol: 16v rado lying in the driveway, G in the garage and my mk2 is parked where ever there is a space :lol:

Yeah defo think more space could help at the charger side, thats why i removed my bracket altogether :lol: I mentioned the longer screw in my first post i think, pretty sure thats how the rallye rad is attactched as well, so maybe a screw is available from vag?! Tab got the grinder on mine too, on both sides :lol: theres enough contact points on the slam panel anyway :lol:

Hacksawed the peg off then used a soldering iron to plastic weld it back on. The rad plastic is quite gritty but just make sure you run the iron oVer it enough so that the two plastics bond together and you should be ok :D

The rallye u-bend i posted is the same one G-werks sell, i was on the phone to rob and said they were sold out but i could go direct. They may be back in stock now, this was a few weeks back.

Waheeeey its in... It was the tow eye just needed a little more taking off. The inlet was just holding up the pass side leg from dropping in to its mount hole. Just me being a little cautious with the old girl.

So game on its time to buy a U bend n some pipework to be bent to shape... Best to see if teh fan cowl will go back in place or I'm fitting the Spal fan with no cowl!!

I shall be welding the Tow eye mount up this weekend n cleaning up the weld. Soon it will be off to the sprayers for a new full coat of Nugett Yellow :D

Bling

Waheeeey its in... It was the tow eye just needed a little more taking off. The inlet was just holding up the pass side leg from dropping in to its mount hole. Just me being a little cautious with the old girl.

So game on its time to buy a U bend n some pipework to be bent to shape... Best to see if teh fan cowl will go back in place or I'm fitting the Spal fan with no cowl!!

I shall be welding the Tow eye mount up this weekend n cleaning up the weld. Soon it will be off to the sprayers for a new full coat of Nugett Yellow :D

Bling

Good work matey :D keep the photos coming

Do they come black or do people paint them?

I don't understand why you'd want to add a layer of insulation to something you use to shed your intake heat :confused4: :scratch:

Do they come black or do people paint them?

I don't understand why you'd want to add a layer of insulation to something you use to shed your intake heat :confused4: :scratch:

AFAIK they can painted black from the factory, don't know the reasoning for it :?