scarlet_vr6

scarlet_vr6's blackberry!

thanks everyone :D

turning out to be a cracking long weekend so far... bumpers yesterday, a really good meet in Taplow today (followed by an amble along the river and a doze in the sun, very pleasant!) and then awaiting my return home, was a letter from HMRC advising that I have a sizeable tax rebate on the way! Hope tomorrow is as good lol!

Before anyone asks though, the tax rebate isn't going on the car - have a couple of other things to sort unfortunately... it does mean I don't have to feel bad about the set of pressed aluminium number plates I have on the way though! I thought the new bumpers deserved decent plates :)

Yes I did find the bumpers on the forum ( :notworthy: ) and bought a few others bits at the same time which haven't made it onto the car yet - I'll get there eventually! The Magnex is in reserve waiting for the current one to disintegrate (can't be long as it has been an MOT advisory for 3 if not 4 years :lol:). The suspension will be sorted when I have the cash... I have already spoken to Dave and Graham about it as I want a suspension overhaul rather than just a drop. Unfortunately though, I have a slight mechanical issue which needs to be sorted first... and don't worry about learning my number plate Judith :wink: I still have a black slam panel, a big dent in the OSF wing and a bonnet which is gradually getting whiter to sort yet! It's funny though, I had got so used to having a black bumper, that today I kept on doing double takes at the car and had to keep reminding myself that it is indeed mine!

Yes it is a shame that it always comes down to finances but at least it becomes a project which I can enjoy in stages - I think if I just handed over a fat cheque after however many (many, many!) weeks work to make the car perfect, then I wouldn't appreciate it half as much! I would love to get my car painted one day and have all the rust sorted and parking dents removed so I will watch out for yours being painted ozowen, especially since it's the best colour :wink: In the meantime though, there is plenty left to clean...

A couple of photos of the bumpers in daylight...

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfresized IMG_4911.JPG[/attachment:3ejbh804]

resized IMG_4914.JPG[/attachment:3ejbh804]

Delighted :shades:

Awesome work!

Was the black front bumper any good? Only a BMXer has mullered mine so I might take it off your hands if it's tidy.

nick

Awesome work!

Was the black front bumper any good? Only a BMXer has mullered mine so I might take it off your hands if it's tidy.

nick

sorry to have read about that Nick :( and I can't help you either - the black front bumper is a mess. It's grazed, the paint is down to the primer in a fair few places (not from my ownership btw!) and also the inner plastic piece with the runners is broken on one side... it's for the bin I think!

Awesome work!

nick

sorry to have read about that Nick :( and I can't help you either - the black front bumper is a mess. It's grazed, the paint is down to the primer in a fair few places (not from my ownership btw!) and also the inner plastic piece with the runners is broken on one side... it's for the bin I think!

I'll take it anyway. I'm gonna try and make my own smooth bumper.

Nick

Awesome work!

nick

I'll take it anyway. I'm gonna try and make my own smooth bumper.

Nick

really sorry Nick, but I have already promised the bumper to Tom. He said he would take it last week before I had even got it off the car. I checked it a couple of days ago and found the damaged insert for the runners so thought it was a lost cause but got a reply from him earlier saying he still wants it. Sorry... it’s yours if he changes his mind though...

It has taken me a while to get round to posting this but I recently took a couple of days off work and, with thanks to my cousin again, got a few jobs done which I have been meaning to do for ages :D

The main thing was an oil and filter change as I think I must have covered at least 12k since the last one. I intend to do this once a year from now on which should mean less than 6k between changes.

I had gathered a few bits of trim which have finally made it onto the car. Nothing special, just replacing tired/broken pieces for ones in better condition…

glovebox – one which closes properly and there is now an even gap with the dashboard. We changed the lids over so that the key still works too. Also tidied some of the wiring in the dash in a valiant, but probably vain, attempt to cure some of the noises, including removing the remainder of the unnecessary sub/amp/CD changer wiring

rear number plate – needed a drill to remove a rusty screw so finally there is a pair of pressed plates on the car, not just one :wink:

NS wing mirror – old one was broken and didn’t fold properly. Replacement now on inc. glass change as the original was better

trim near accelerator pedal – I would say foot rest but surely that is the clutch pedal side! Old one was split and when removed I realised it was even worse than I had thought. Replaced with a clean, whole piece

rear VW badge – I bought a brand new badge to replace the weathered old one. I don’t think Corrado ones are available anymore so I used one from a Mk2 Golf. By using the original rubber seal and by modifying the tabs on the back, I now have a gleaming rear VW badge. It looks so much better!

A few more jobs ticked off the list 8)

Oh and the Jetta celebrated turning 21 by breezing the MOT :D

Big Corrado update coming soon……………………… ;)

Will you be bringing it to the RR day so we can snuffle round it?

Is "snuffling round a Corrado" a Northamptonshire rural tradition then?

4 and a half years it has taken, but I have finally got rid of the stilts! I know it wasn’t the best kept secret, but Bosun has spent a few days at DG Autotech :dance: I decided I wanted a suspension overhaul rather than just fitting coilies and worrying about the rest of it later. So what better place to take my car?!

I had quite a list of things I wanted done…

Corrado conversion V2 (3).pdfresized DG Autotech 27-11-09 041.jpg[/attachment:ohxk0gmg]

As you all know my C is far from ‘just off the forecourt’ condition and whilst I want to keep improving the look and condition of it, my overall aim with this work was to improve the handling. For me, the improved looks is just a huge bonus :D I intend to go on a few more track days (including hopefully the Nurburgring next summer) and so whilst keeping a budget in mind, a few months ago I asked Dave and Graham for advice. This is the story of what has been done…

Admittedly these pics are a bit old, but in ride height terms, this is how it went to DG

Book1.pdfresized Stonor Park 30-05-09 062.jpg[/attachment:ohxk0gmg]

stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdfresized rain pix 10-08-08 019.jpg[/attachment:ohxk0gmg]

I decided to go for KW V1s as I know how good they are plus I wanted stainless steel so I can keep them looking good!

ETKA Corrado.pdfDSC02933.jpg[/attachment:ohxk0gmg]

On D&G’s advice, the suspension overhaul included a fair few replacement parts – R32 bushes, tie rods, ball joints and top mounts. The rear axle bushes were replaced a couple of years ago so these weren’t needed.

I also decided (on D&G’s advice again) to get a rear anti roll bar. I decided to hunt for a Neuspeed one as they are adjustable but knowing that they haven’t been made for a while I didn’t hold out much hope. However, at just about the last possible moment, Leon got in touch and said he would sell me his one. I was very lucky indeed as it had never been fitted - the original packing hadn’t even been opened! Many, many thanks to Leon for this :D

stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdfDSC02979.jpg[/attachment:ohxk0gmg]

Corrado92.pdfresized DG Autotech 27-11-09 016.jpg[/attachment:ohxk0gmg]

I have had a brand new Magnex lurking round for a while (I bought it when I heard the company was in liquidation), so when Dave said that the original one wasn’t going to last much longer, I decided that it was about time it was fitted. The old exhaust is 14.5 years old and had covered well over 155k miles – not bad!

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfresized DG Autotech 27-11-09 012.jpg[/attachment:ohxk0gmg]

The original front engine mount was also still on the car and was long past it’s best before date – in fact Dave said it was the worst he had ever seen :oops:

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfresized DG Autotech 27-11-09 024.jpg[/attachment:ohxk0gmg]

…so a Vibratechnics mount was fitted.

I also had a replacement steering rack which I decided to have reconditioned before being fitted… I won’t say who the other one is this pic belongs to ;)

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfDSC02990.jpg[/attachment:ohxk0gmg]

D&G also very kindly sorted out the ABS

resized DG Autotech 27-11-09 036.jpg[/attachment:ohxk0gmg]

A couple of pics of the DG boys working some magic

stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdfresized DG Autotech 27-11-09 025.jpg[/attachment:27z86kjf]

ETKA Corrado.pdfresized DG Autotech 27-11-09 042.jpg[/attachment:27z86kjf]

As I had only just bought the Neuspeed and hadn’t originally planned on fitting the Magnex yet, I took both up yesterday when I was due to collect my rado. Unfortunately, a Neuspeed rear ARB doesn’t fit too well with a Magnex... I was so impressed with Dave’s and Graham’s attitude at this point. I had expected (as I had already heard) that the back box would just have to be ‘modified’ to make it fit but they refused to do this, not just because the baffles might break and rattle but also on principle of damaging a brand new exhaust.

So a bit of thought went into it and they devised a method to make both fit without damaging either. Not only did they do this on their own accord, they also spent a lot of time adjusting the Magnex so that the tailpipe still fits in the centre of the cut out on the rear bumper. Top marks for attention to detail :salute: Very much appreciated!

The main part of the solution was to crème brulee (love it Jim :lol: ) the brackets and bend them so that the back box is no longer parallel with the sides of the car

stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdfresized DG Autotech 27-11-09 043.jpg[/attachment:27z86kjf]

Dave then carried out the final touches with a well deserved Mega Drumstick Lolly of Silence ;)

Corrado92.pdfresized DG Autotech 27-11-09 053.jpg[/attachment:27z86kjf]

The results…. :dance: :dance: :dance:

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfresized DG Autotech 27-11-09 056.jpg[/attachment:27z86kjf]

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfresized DG Autotech 27-11-09 064.jpg[/attachment:27z86kjf]

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfresized DG Autotech 27-11-09 008.jpg[/attachment:27z86kjf]

resized DG Autotech 27-11-09 001.jpg[/attachment:27z86kjf]

All that is left to say is the biggest of thanks to Dave and Graham :notworthy: I can’t say how overjoyed I am at the transformation. The car looks ace, drives like a dream and sounds awesome :grin: I realised that the improvement would be huge but I hadn’t realised just how good it would be! I love it! :luvlove: The car is on rails now and just begs to be thrown into the corners! Next on the list is bigger brakes to cope with the higher exit speeds and catching up with the slow stuff round the corners! I need to learn to be a better driver to make the most of all this new equipment!!

All your hard work is very much appreciated, and thanks especially the unexpected extras – fixing the fan speed, painting the bonnet prop, polishing the bonnet amongst other things :D Couldn’t be happier and can’t wait for next time ;)

Well Done Faye. I will have to have a passenger ride in your car today; my original wants suspension work done to it so it would be good to see how bosun rides :norty: :norty:

Dave and Graham at DG really know their onions :notworthy:

Faye - your car's looking fab.

I'm up at DG in a few weeks for uprated 288mm brakes but will enquire about KW V1s too! I think the stilt look's gotta go in 2010.

Wow! Looks superb- what a transformation... way overdue though :lol: Sounds like you've got the trackday bug after Combe 8)

Nice changes Fay, admire your patince, youve had that Magnex for yonks..

Car is coming along very nicely...

Apologies in advance, nice rack.

Looks like some great work on the car, how do you find the ride quality and handling on the KW V1s?