Sign in to follow this  
vwdeviant

Header tank cleaning...

Might give this a go: Bleaching Header tank

Apparently idea came from here? Any-one done this and does it work? Am having "issues" seeing my [strike:2ynme2er]water[/strike:2ynme2er] Coolant levels...

If not, off to GSF with a £10?

I was down at a scrappy near me at the weekend and they had loads of golf mk3's with genuine VAG header tanks and most looked pretty clean, they only wanted a couple of quid for one.

What I did with mine (ages ago) was fill it with vinegar, shake it about and leave it overnight, shake it about again and wash out, cleaned mine up a treat, still see the level fine and it's 17 years old!

Alternatively a kettle descaler product would probably do the job quicker but I'm a cheapskate :)

a few people seem to have had problems with GSF pattern tanks not being moulded quite right, so check them out carefully before accepting one, but for my money If I couldn't clean the old one out and it was still discoloured badly I'd probably get a second hand genuine mk3 one that looked fairly clean and do the vinegar trick on that.

Ah cool, same header between KR and 9a though?

Davewort if you have a P/no as well so I can check when I go to the local "Car parts recyling centre" as there's aren't any "old school" scrappy round here anymore! :'(

Yeah I've cleaned Peugeot header tanks before.

I used a broken up dishwasher tablet and boiling water. The fragments of the tablet act as a good scourer on the insides of the tank too!

Deffo worth doing, esp when the tank is so dirty the coolant level is hard to see.

all 4 cyl corrados have tank: 1H0 121 407A

this is the same part for virtually all 4 cylinder golf 3's, passats and 1991-94 polos

post 1991 seems best as the plastic seemed to change at that point (no change in part number) and they tend to stay whiter, the late tanks also have the level fill marks painted in black, the 1988-91 tanks just have the marks moulded into the tank and not actually painted black.