Sign in to follow this  
quicky1980

embarasing blue smoke on overun

Firstly why dont you drain some of the oil. Secondly get the correctly dipstick tube so the level can be measured accurately - is this why there could be too much oil in the engine? Also too much oil will cause more pressume and could cause more problems.

i cant drain the oil out untill i replace the dipstick as I may have the right amount as it is but cant tell. No the local garage messed up and Im pretty sure they put in 6 litres in. Its not easy getting the dipstick and tube.

smoke has died down a little this week so fingerss crossed

So, is your engine brand new / rebuilt?

If so, i'm sure someone that can rebuild an engine can manage to put the proper tube on the side of it!

Any pics for the VR experts?

So, is your engine brand new / rebuilt?

If so, i'm sure someone that can rebuild an engine can manage to put the proper tube on the side of it!

Any pics for the VR experts?

no its not rebuilt, i was silly enough to buy the engine withouth seeing or hearing it run. i have had dozens of problems with it and now this one to ad. Will take a picture this wekend, but it doesnt even bolt to the manifold where it should, Ive have to zip tie it on for now.

its not the case of being able to fit a tube to the engine, its a case of finding one. ive built engines before and fitted this one.

Heres the tube mate -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-CORRADO-SCIROC ... dZViewItem

Says for VR too, though we all know what ebay is like. Was different tubes used for different engines on the corrado ie difference lengths? OR is it the thinner metal tube you're wanting too not just the guide? Im sure theres someone breaking a VR who has a dipstick.

Heres the tube mate -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-CORRADO-SCIROC ... dZViewItem

Says for VR too, though we all know what ebay is like. Was different tubes used for different engines on the corrado ie difference lengths? OR is it the thinner metal tube you're wanting too not just the guide? Im sure theres someone breaking a VR who has a dipstick.

thanks but i need the metal tube. do the vr's have that plastic piece then? looks like i need that too.

hi

mine does it too after a down hill run ,no idle smoke at all no hard acceleration smoke and no start up smoke at all i have been followed to make sure just a little on down hill over run but not all the time , my advice is ignore it you could spend a lot of money chasing the fault and if your that bothered and its a long hill use neutral down the hill its not quite the driving route you should take but it works , i had a 5 pot audi that did it to and also used next to nothing in oil , a tiny amount of oil can make a lot of smoke , and the 5 pot audi did it for over 3 yrs then i sold it and it still kept going no problem that was a stem seal problem too , my vr has a steel dipstick right to the top no plastic end in answer to your last question :D

Right, still cant find a replacement oil dipstick and tube. but the engine seems to be using about 1ltr of oil every 400-600miles. No where near to what it should be.

Now I'm in a conundrum, do I;

Rebuild just the head

Rebuild a spare vr over time until this one gives up

Replace the whole engine with another one (hopefully healthier)

I use the car daily for work so cant have the car off the road for too long, I also want to keep costs to a minimum.

Long term wise I do plan to do a 24v engine swap, but that would mean lots of money and having the car off the road too long due to having to fabricate parts. Or are all teh parts now off the shelf ie exhaust amnifolds, wiring loom etc.

i took my car for a real hard run today and think mine might be doing the same, is it really not worth rebuilding the 12v vr6??

i took my car for a real hard run today and think mine might be doing the same, is it really not worth rebuilding the 12v vr6??

just see how much oil your using ,over 3k on mine since i noticed the wisp of blue one day and not a drop of oil needed so what do you do , i say nothing

have you decat your car as you will notice a little smoke after that as the cat gets so hot it gets rid of the wisp of oil before its gets to the tail pipe ,

and to be honest i tiny bit of oil in the top of the bores wont do any harm to the top of the bores anyway ,

but until your using loads of oil why bother ,

as stated in the owners manual "every engine uses a certain amount of oil , the oil consumption can be upto 1 litre per 1000km"

thats a lot of oil

but its really upto you , they are old cars at the end of the day so there has to be a little give :)

I remember on my mates VR Corrado, it was smoking on over-run, he pulled the head off and I inspected the guides - were very worn "dick in a shirt sleeve" is how I described them. He had the guides done and it was just the same. :sad:

Thinking out loud, can you fit a Golf 2.8 block to a 2.9 'rado lump?

well i checked the oil before ie went out and it was about 1-2mm below half on the dip stick, i left the car overnight, checked oil today and it was just below minimum. I have no idea how much oil that is.

Been for a drive today and if im stationary and i rev quickly, blue smoke comes out, and also if i boot it suddenly, should i be worried?

Its a vr6, with 100k on the clock.

acceleration smoke is a lot worse thats more than likely bore wear (rings etc) ,

it sounds like your using a lot more oil than specified i think theres about a litre of oil between min and max , but i dont mind being corrected.

acceleration smoke is a lot worse thats more than likely bore wear (rings etc) ,

it sounds like your using a lot more oil than specified i think theres about a litre of oil between min and max , but i dont mind being corrected.

Yeah thats right its about a litre, if not spot on a litre between thge max and min marks. 100k isnt a lot for a VR, strange that its burning oil.

at gentle driving and gentle acceleration no smoke, and it doesnt smoke if u gradually accelerate to 4k+revs, just on the sudden hard push of the peddle.

at gentle driving and gentle acceleration no smoke, and it doesnt smoke if u gradually accelerate to 4k+revs, just on the sudden hard push of the peddle.

Sounds like worn piston rings, but as i said its not that high mileage

You can do a wet compression test to see which end is not sealing.

Do a dry compression test and note the figures.

Then put a teaspoon of oil in the cylinder and repeat.

The oil will seal the bores temporarily - so if your wet figures are the same as dry then the head is not sealing (head gasket, stem seals etc) but if the figures are higher then the rings are not sealing the bores.

You can get a draper compression tester for £15.

The golf 2.8 block will apaprently work fine with the 2.9 top end etc. Be careful not to get a block out of a sharan / galaxy because they ahve some differences iirc.