Sign in to follow this  
akacheesy

Headlights Main Beam / Dipped Problem!

Driving last night, in the fog, I was experimenting with my headlights. I find that my main beam doesn't seem as bright as it could be. Dipped is fine, but when I switch to main I seem to lose the brightness. If i hold the column switch in, as if I were flashing my headlights, both the headlights and inner spot lights go considerably brighter.

Has anyone else had this issue? Could it be a faulty relay or switch? I will be getting an uprated wiring loom as recommended by countless other forum members, but I don't want to find that I still have this problem.

Any advice would be gratefully recieved.

Chris

This is the exact reason that you need the uprated loom! :lol: 8)

The wiring to the main beam oxidises over time (the copper in the wire!) and becomes slightly resistive. This resistiveness means that you don't get a full 12V to the headlights any more meaning that your bulbs won't be as bright. The replacement/upgrade loom simply puts in a new feed straight from the battery to the lights via a relay which is triggered by the original headlamp feed.

The reason that the lights go brighter when you use the main beam flash (and hold it) is because the flash lights up BOTH main and dipped parts of the bulb. If you keep holding it like this, you'll overheat the bulb and it'll blow! :?

As long as you can see that the dipped and main beam are different parts lighting up, then the loom will work and will help to solve the situation... 8)

bought one of these recently!! theres a guy that makes em- made a very very big diff, especially if u use white light bulbs!

Anybody tried the philips 50%+ light bulbs do they do what they say on the tin?

http://www.eur.lighting.philips.com/int ... ision.html

Mot has put his statement to the test in the Hella testing facilities. The result was particularly impressive for the H4 Vision Plus. Some 40 % more low-beam light on a Golf as compared to standard lamps. High-beam light was up 20 %.

Certain spots that are of particular importance to the driver are even up 50 %, such as the spot 75 meters in front of the car on the right side of the road. However, these percentages may vary with the type of headlight in use.

cheers Henny, that makes perfect sense to me, just wanted some reassurance. Loom it is then. Have ya fitted one yourself? Does it take long?

Not yet... I'm in the middle of stripping the interior out to install new gauges, lighting for the dash + switches and my new TV ICE install, so it's not been a high priority yet... I've also recently bought all new front lights after some £%$£ reversed into my car and then drove off... New lights make a hell of a difference too, so when I get an engine and interior back in the car I'll plonk a loom in as well and see what a difference that makes... 8)

Akacheesy, Have a word with Gavin (H100VW) about the looms he makes... I met him at the local Club GTI meeting earlier this month and bought one as soon as I saw the quality of it! 8)

It shouldn't take very long to fit, I'm pretty sure the only tool you need is a 10mm spanner... 8)

aye, already done that m8, I have one of Gavin's looms Just wanted to know how much of a job it is. Thinking of tackling it tonight. What happens to the old loom? Do you simply leave it there or do you remove it?

The new loom connects into the old loom, so you don't need to remove anything...

All that happens is that you unplug the old headlamp connectors, plug in the new loom to the headlamps and to the original loom, then connect the 2 battery terminals (that's where you need the 10mm spanner!)

The new loom simply uses the original wiring to turn on the new relays instead of the lights. The new relays then provide a new, shorter path to the battery's +ve and -ve which is less resistive than the original wiring, hence more Volts, and brighter lights! 8)

It's a simple mod, it's just that Gavin's done it really nicely with his looms! :D 8)