Sign in to follow this  
Mark_Storm

Refitting the cat - lambda sensor issues

Its MOT time so got to put the cat back on. I had to scrap my original CAT as the threads for the lambda sensor stripped as they took it out. Bought another that looks identical in every way except the opposite end of the lambda sensor is a different shape so won't connect. Anyone got any bright ideas? I did try taking out but its pretty well seized in there so guessing it'll strip the threads if i do.

P1010015.JPG[/attachment:37pr64rq]

If it's just for the MOT maybe just jump the wires with spade connectors but you won't really know if that lambda will work on a VR6 until the MOT...

Where is the sensor from - looks like a MK4 Golf?

I think it was off a Passat originally. VW reckon there's 2 types although didn't have any in stock so no idea if the connectors are different.

Took it to a garage and they managed to get the sensor out of the cat so can now use the one from the de cat :)

Please lock this up

same thing happened to me last week bought a new lambda from vw, removed my cat to refit and discovered the connector was incorrect, i was supplied with a lambda with the rounded connector where as my car had a square connector. The round connector is used on later vr's and the squarer connector is used on early vr's. Mines a 94 and it has the square plug so changeover must be somewhere around then.