poll250

"Uprated" Headlight problems

Ok I've been meaning to fix this for a while and its MOT time soon so here goes....

I fitted an "uprated" loom for both dip and main beams, and lost my sidelights as others have. (I disconnected the dim-dip resistor before installing the loom so its definitely not that) The lights go to dip beam on both clicks, even with the keys out of the ignition. The main beams come on as they should too, so all the wiring must be correct in that respect.

If I disconnect the uprated loom from the battery and then put sidelights on, they come on, so i know the bulbs are fine and headlight switch isnt broken. Basically I can't think what could be wrong as everything is wired in correctly.

I read this in a thread somewhere:

"Most guides forget to mention that you need to put a jumper wire in between the existing loom and the sidelight! "

Could this be the problem? How do I do this bit!?

Sorry for the questions but I just can't work out the problem!

Andy

from what you describe it sounds like the relay is still being 'switched' in the dim dip/sidelight (first switch position) setting with the ignition on, difficult to understand if you have disconnected the dim dip circuit.

The relay circuit diagram is pretty simple, just duplicated for left and right and dip and main beam.

You use the dip beam feed from your cars original loom to switch the relay that then feeds power direct from the battery to the +ve connector on the headlight unit for dip beam. Usually a second relay is used for main beam. The fourth connector on the relay is then just an earth (preferably straight back to the battery).

A sketch of your current relays and wires to the relay and headlight would be a good starting point.

Thanks David,

I guess I'm just going to have to take the loom apart. It was an ebay jobbie, but is pretty good quality to be honest.

I should mention that sometimes if I have the lights on dip beam, and then click them down to sidelights, everything goes off (blackness!)

Is it possible my earth to the the battery isn't good enough?

relays, particularly unshielded ones exposed to the weather under the bonnet often stick, more likely that than a bad earth, but if the lights go out when you switch the headlight switch from dip to sidelights position then that's how it should behave isn't it? - unless the sidelight bulbs go out too. All sounds a bit odd, doesn't take long for connectors to corrode though, one winter and you can get problems.

Poll who off ebay did you get it off. As i bought one a while a go that didnt look much but did the job. Bought a better one off a guy called CORRADOG60. The loom works a treat. If you did get one from CORRADOG60, admittingly the underneath of the relay holder block wasnt that protected. So i squirted some bathroom sealant in the connector holes

Poll who off ebay did you get it off. As i bought one a while a go that didnt look much but did the job. Bought a better one off a guy called CORRADOG60. The loom works a treat. If you did get one from CORRADOG60, admittingly the underneath of the relay holder block wasnt that protected. So i squirted some bathroom sealant in the connector holes

i got mine from the same bloke. out of interest what colour wires did you tap into from the factory loom?

cheers