Sign in to follow this  
Bog Standard VR6

Oil Pressure Sensor Leaking Oil

Hi,

I have a bad oil leak. Thanks to a few searches on here, I was able to pin down the source of it very quickly without the tedious "pressure hose everything clean and lool for leaks" method. Which could have taken a while as there was a lot of oil all under the engine, subframe, back along the exhaust etc. The highest point seemed to be around the oil filter housing so when I read about the infamous leaking pressure sensors, I just lifted the rubber boots, cleaned them down and started up the engine. It wasn't exactly squirting oil, just a very worringly persistent slow flow, which I'm sure would chuck out quite a bit after a while.

So thanks for that help - but now I'm wondering whether I can get access easy enough without dismantling too much? There's not a lot of room there (VR6). Is it best to work blind from below or try to squeeze down between the radiator/fan and the intake? Anyone done this and remember? Any hints?

I've read on here that there's the low and high pressure sensors - unfortunately I hadn't read that when I was investigating, so I didn't try to distinguish the colour amongst all the gunk. It's the left one as you stand and look into the engine bay - I wonder if I should just go into my dealer and ask for a left hand oil pressure sensor :nuts: Any ideas if that's the high or low one? I presume they originally fit them consistently high on one side and low on the other. Maybe I should just get both and replace both - if one's gone the other can't be far behind.

All advice welcome (as long as it's useful ......... or amusing)

Thanks.

I can't offer any help but I can sympathise - when I bought my G60 it was p*ssing oil out of both pressure sensors AND the rocker cover gasket!

Take the headlight out and you can reach through the hole.

I'd go and check the colour as they change depending on age, or replace both?