Sign in to follow this  
georgek

Koni shocks with standard springs problem

Hi All,

At the moment I have Koni springs and shocks all round on my 94 VR and it's blooming hard. Problem is we're moving to the country where all the roads are lanes and obviously potted to buggery.

I thought it might be a good idea to go back to standard springs but keep the Koni shocks (purely down to money at the moment, otherwise I'd go back to standard completely).

First question is, is this a good idea? I know I'll loose the 40mm drop, but I don't mind that.

Second question is I've got the replacement springs from a late 93 Corrado but the upper spring plates I have don't fit.

My mechanic got hold of some from VW but he says they are too small. Now I know they changed during the VR's lifetime, but I can't find the right part number, can someone help me out?

Are there any other bits I need to go with the larger plates to make it all fit together? My mechanic said all he needed was the correct size plates but I thought I better check to be sure.

Thanks

George

Yes you only need the larger early spring plates. As it happens I have a brand new pair for sale as I bought a set but didn't end up needing them. The aprt number is also in this thread.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=66630

Early VRs came with large ones, late came with small. Commonly lowering springs need large but a few need small to add to the confusion!

I also have a set of early VR dampers for FREE (if you pay the courier charge), not immaculate but not leaking.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=67475

I can even include a pair of early VR standard front springs if you want / need them though it looks like you have them

Hang on just re-read your post - whats too small your springs or the caps?

The only differences are the springs and their caps. They need to match obviously.

If you have springs with a small top and large caps - then my springs (with large tops) will help you out.

If you have springs with a large top and small caps - then you need the caps I have spare (part number int he thread linked above).

I bought my car and didn't get on with the lowered (cheapo GMAX) suspension, so I went back to standard early springs and Monroe gas dampers. Early standard suspension sits a fair bit lower than late standard suspension so my car is comfortable without having the 4x4 ride height of the late standard cars. I can't comment on the comparison to yourt current setup as I haven't tried out the koni setup.

Hi mate, I just need the large caps, which I'll have thanks! Let me know how you want paying (pm?).

Where abouts in the NW are you?