Sign in to follow this  
Twiss

Idle Pulley is driving me up the wall

I'm sure people who have the 1.8 16v am aware of the water pump idle pulley rattling with age at certain revs. Well Mine is really getting on my nerves. After greasing it and cleaning it it lasts for a while then rattles.

Ive searched on the forum as I'm sure in the past I came across a topic saying that the pulleys were changed due to this problem and therefore getting rid of the idle pulley altogether. But damn if I can find it again(Which is Typical). Could some please point me to it or Tell me parts or engine i need to look at?

thanks in advance.

PITA

you need to swap loads of bits over from a 1991 onwards 16v (1.8 or 2L) to solve this, several of the pulleys need changing and possibly the PS pump as the shaft is a different length.

I did see pics once of a guy who spot welded his idler pulley together :lol:

Said it didn't cause any problems, I guess over time the belt might wear a bit quicker as there's no built in slip, certainly easier than swapping to all the later bits or cheaper than a new idler pulley.

The best alternative would be all mk3 ABF 16v bits, you could then run a serpentine belt instead of the V's which would be quieter I reckon.

do you have a 2L block on a 1.8 car like me then?

David

I've got the 2L head and block from a audi (Engine code 6a). you originally help me in the right direction when i thought about doing the conversion. Thanks for that. I'm going to be putting in the Kr cam on Tuesday hopefully so i thought doing the pulleys in the same day.

Flusted

Do you mean you have an idle pulley that is in good nick?

Flusted

If I've got any funds at the end of the month I may have that idle pulley from you but if i can source ABF Pulleys then I'll go for them.

Does any one have a pic of a ABF engine showing the pulleys? I know its a long shot. :roll:

surely you could just use the 2l 9a pulleys? if you need the idler pulley just pop in and take it and drop me a £5er when you next passin