Sign in to follow this  
Critical_Mass

6 branch manifold

Just get new studs, they will be absolutely fine. Get new nuts whilst you're at it.

Wrapping is down to driver choice: performance wise it won't be noticable from a bhp point of view, but it will keep the heat in the exhaust and away from other things in the engine bay which is quite useful.

Just get new studs, they will be absolutely fine. Get new nuts whilst you're at it.

Wrapping is down to driver choice: performance wise it won't be noticable from a bhp point of view, but it will keep the heat in the exhaust and away from other things in the engine bay which is quite useful.

Yeah my main concern is the heat, the VR lump runds hot as hell as it is.

I wonder if someone could clear something up for me.....

a 6 branch is good for fi engines which believe also should be running at least a 2.5" exhaust, yet Critical_Mass is slapping it straight onto his current system which i presume is OE width (2.25"?). so how does said 6 branch be able to fit both and still flow smoothly? Does the wider pipe narrow to attach?

Cheers fellas.

yes the wider pipe would have to be sleeved onto the smaller to attach, and yes this would cause a bottleneck from the larger bore piping.

well, exhausts need a little backpressure (N/A engines moreso than F/I) but there will be a balanced/tuned size to which the engine at this present time will run well at. Obviously when the power goes up you need a bigger pipe: the amount of power an engine makes is DIRECTLY proportional to how much air it can flow.

well, exhausts need a little backpressure (N/A engines moreso than F/I) but there will be a balanced/tuned size to which the engine at this present time will run well at. Obviously when the power goes up you need a bigger pipe: the amount of power an engine makes is DIRECTLY proportional to how much air it can flow.

Cool, i thought as much, just needed confirmation. Cheers Jon. (or is it John?)

I didn't fit mine, had them done at a local garage so not sure on the whole studs vs bolts.

I didn't bother wrapping mine, couldn't see anything it could potentially burn through so figured it was a waste of time. Does get serioulsy hot though!

I didn't fit mine, had them done at a local garage so not sure on the whole studs vs bolts.

I didn't bother wrapping mine, couldn't see anything it could potentially burn through so figured it was a waste of time. Does get serioulsy hot though!

Aye, thats why im gonna wrap it. Gets too hot without this manifold.

Cool, i thought as much, just needed confirmation. Cheers Jon. (or is it John?)

Jon(athan) :salute:

Hi all,

Just reporting back about my first drive of the rado since having the 6 branch fitted and also a supersprint cat back - which looks peeerdy :)

Apologies its taken me so long..

Now, instead of getting the manifold ceramically coated, due to the price of it outweighing the price of the manifold and instead of using the usual heat wrapping material, i decided to see what the aerosol heat paint was like. Bear in mind you're suppose to bake the manifold once its been sprayed at various ascending temperatures and times. So i went over thoroughly first with a blow lamp and once fitted the car was left to idle for a bit. Which is the best i could have done.

At first look the paint has started to bubble in places and some has been knocked off when it was fitted. It was also smoking a very small amount, which stopped. But so far its not looking too bad. However i still might need to take it off and heat wrap it with material. I also need to shield a pipe near the bottom of the engine bay near the back, just below where the lambda probe connector sits, or it will probably melt :?

As for performance, well people were right when they said there would be no noticable power increase. But, there is a noticable increase in throttle response compared to before both mani and exhaust were fitted. One last thing - When accelerating, especially in a low gear, theres a raspy, sucking air (;)) type noise. Is this a hole somewhere, possibly exhaust not quite clamped right or is it something else? I thought the exhaust may need time to 'settle in' as such, same with the manifold. I hope its not going to stay put :(

I noticed a similar sound when I had my 6 branch and de cat fitted. Give it time and it should completely go, its just air travelling down a metal pipe. Once the carbon deposits start building up it'll go and you're just left with a nice roar

I noticed a similar sound when I had my 6 branch and de cat fitted. Give it time and it should completely go, its just air travelling down a metal pipe. Once the carbon deposits start building up it'll go and you're just left with a nice roar

Ah sweet, thats good news then. Because at the moment it doesnt quite sound right, like its blowing a bit.

Cheers :)

Mark, how long did you have to wait before the 'sucking air' sound from your 6 branch disappeared? Mines been on the car for what a couple of months and its still there.

Can't remember to be honest, I did a lot of driving shortly after, including a 2500 miles trip round europe. It's probably worth checking it's not blowing anywhere but your description does sound very similar to what i had

ah... i havent done that much mileage since having it fitted - maybe done 500-1000 miles, but i did check for any signs of blowing over the weekend and couldnt see any. the noise appears to be coming from where the manifold joins onto the block rather then it being the join onto the cat or further back. . I'll continue to wait another 2k or so. Its a really annoying noise. Cheers mate!

Well if patience is running thin you could always try sticking a BMC on, you defaintely won't hear it then :D

:lol: that is in the pipe line ;) Well its going to get wrapped soon as the VHT paint is flaking - rubbish, dont use it. So maybe that'll help dull the sound a bit. :shrug:

Remember to heatwrap your manifold wet.... the heatwrap.. not the manifold I mean!

This way, when it dries and heats back up, it contracts onto the manifold and doesn't become a flappy mess.

The raceland kit is very good for the money, the welds are good and the overall quality of the product is excellent compared to the ashley ones which seem to fall apart (from what I've heard)

The heatwrap WILL smoke and smell a bit too when the manifold is back on the car, don't worry too much.

As for the raspy sound.. that's exactly how the one on my polo sounded too... got a little quieter as time went on.

Josh

Remember to heatwrap your manifold wet.... the heatwrap.. not the manifold I mean!

This way, when it dries and heats back up, it contracts onto the manifold and doesn't become a flappy mess.

The raceland kit is very good for the money, the welds are good and the overall quality of the product is excellent compared to the ashley ones which seem to fall apart (from what I've heard)

The heatwrap WILL smoke and smell a bit too when the manifold is back on the car, don't worry too much.

As for the raspy sound.. that's exactly how the one on my polo sounded too... got a little quieter as time went on.

Josh

Hi Josh.

Where's the best/cheapest place to get some heat wrap? Yes i've read somewhere on here you are to wet the material before wrapping.

Its good to hear the raceland are a good kit for the money. Last thing i want is the welds falling apart. I'm kind of glad some of you had the same raspy noise as i have at the mo. I was afraid the manifold was blowing around the gasket or somewhere.

Cheers

Gaz

I got my heatwrap off the 'Bay, matey. Cost me about £50 for copper coloured 50ft length (15m) and is 2in wide. 50ft is just enough if you plan out how much you need for each bit of pipe in advance. I did a write up about wrapping my Raceland manifold on my Member's Gallery:

About half way down the page...

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=57034&start=15

I do recall I had a spray bottle of water on hand the whole time to keep the wrap wet though.

HTH :D

Charlie

Yeah, I went down the ol' Egay route aswell for my heatwrap. Did the job fine, just remember to overspec the length you think you'll need!

As chazrad said, maybe 15M...or get 20 and don't worry too much about the chopping ;)

I went for stainless steel ties to wrap mine.. and I must confess, they weren't great. Maybe this wirelock stuff is better!

Cheers fellas!

Chazrad - thanks for the guide. Ill probably get the 20metres as i'd rather have too much then not enough tbh.

mariojoshi- Ill definately get the wirelock as i've also heard the steel ties are shoite.