Sign in to follow this  
monVR6

Light knocking from the top (95 VR)

Hi all

Just about top go for a spin in the VR a bit earlier this afternoon and it seems to have developed a knock from (what seems like) the top of the engine - it seems louder with ears near the throttle body. Now, it was fine when I last drove it - so not sure what has caused this? The car has done 90K miles - could this be the early signs of the chains needing doing? If it is the chains - can it be driven like this - or is there potential to do more damage? Anything else it may be?

Thanks in advance everyone . .

Hi all

Thanks for the thoughts - had a bit of a closer look today and it looks like plug number 5 is almost undone - and actually wobbles about in its' socket - as this is where the noise seems to be coming from - I'm thinking this is a good thing to do first! Only thing is - is there a special tool I need for this?

Cheers

Hi again

So plug number 5 was loose and after tightening - everything was back to normal - a great relief as I had hideous visions of this being hugely expensive :clap:

Hope this may be helpful to others whose VRs suddenly develop such a noise - I only discovered the solution by accident really :roll:

Cheers all - and thanks for the input . .

Hi again So plug number 5 was loose and after tightening - everything was back to normal - .

Hi

Glad to hear that. I just want to know if it is possible to whip the lead out and push it on without the special tool.

Because of how deeply seated they are under the manifold, the only way really is to pull on the lead, risking breaking the connection. Personally, I wouldn't.

The tool actually grips onto the metal part of the socket, meaning you can't really damage it.

Agree the tool would be best - as it was number 5 plug for me - I was able to get a good grip on the body of the cap from under the cover to remove with my uncommonly small hands and ET-like fingers. Other cyliders will no doubt be a pain in the . . . to remove . .