Sign in to follow this  
Alexander

New supercharger belt = more noisy?

Hi all,

I could well be fretting over nothing (I do that a lot) but I'm running a 68mm pulley which was on the car when I got it. When the car was serviced last year my trusted mechanic replaced the supercharger belt and I thought nothing of it, all was well. Then recently I've been hearing a squealing noise at certain throttle positions, so after reading some stuff on here I figured it must be because it was a standard belt (didn't think to tell my mechanic at the time that it had a smaller pulley and hence would need a shorter belt, so I'm assuming he fitted the standard item).

Anyway, I got the correct length belt from G-Werkz (thanks guys) and had it fitted today, and the first thing I notice is that the engine's a lot noisier - sounds like more supercharger whine/howl. Is this to be expected, or is it just belt noise because it's new? It also feels a little bit sluggish but this could be my imagination (I did have two guys in the car with me today which I don't usually).

Would appreciate any input! Ta!

My experience with the G60 is that it was always rather noisey anyway - due to the supercharger. The squeak im guess was the belt that was too loose and now that you have a correct sized belt its gone. The whine is normal i would say. Do you have a chip fitted too, or just the belt (cant remember which way round it is that you can run one without the other, think its you can have a chip but no smaller pulley, just not the other way round.) if so it may need setting up properly. Or as mentioned your passengers were holding you back :lol:

Got both the chip and the pulley - all that seems to be fine (bought it that way). I got used to the level of noise it used to have, but it's definitely noisier now it has the new belt on?

Oh and annoyingly, the squeal is still there! :|

Got both the chip and the pulley - all that seems to be fine (bought it that way). I got used to the level of noise it used to have, but it's definitely noisier now it has the new belt on?

Oh and annoyingly, the squeal is still there! :|

Ah sorry, the squeal is still there. Possibly not the belt then, I'd have thought the sqeal would have gone once you get going, if it was the belt. Does it do it at idle? Maybe worth idling it and having a listen under the bonnet. Maybe get some one to rev it whilst listening too. Sorry i cant be more helpful. :?

I posted up about this problem at length in the past as it happened to me too. The problem is that the belt is likely to be a pattern part rather than a VW original item and one of the money saving measures used on the pattern belts is to eliminate a fabric / cloth seam running through and on the back of the belt. I don't know how or why but as a result, on some cars (for some reason) it results in a horrible noisy squealing noise from the belts. Mine sounded so bad, a few friends actually thought the charger or water pump was about to fail!

I'd advise getting a genuine VW original belt on there - I can almost guarantee it will shut up!

Alternatively worth a punt with some silicone belt dressing. I used some a while back on my valver when it developed squeaky belts - sourced a product by a company called Rocol and had to go and find a reseller on some industrial estate in Coventry, but its specially formulated to prolong the life of rubber belts and also has the bonus of shutting them up when they get squeaky! Obviously keep it away from the cam belt (!!) but run the engine and squirt some on the main charger belt and also on the PAS pump belt..

Let me know if you want more info on the Rocol stuff - but Google should be able to help you as thats pretty much all I had to go on :)

I posted up about this problem at length in the past as it happened to me too. The problem is that the belt is likely to be a pattern part rather than a VW original item and one of the money saving measures used on the pattern belts is to eliminate a fabric / cloth seam running through and on the back of the belt. I don't know how or why but as a result, on some cars (for some reason) it results in a horrible noisy squealing noise from the belts. Mine sounded so bad, a few friends actually thought the charger or water pump was about to fail!

I'd advise getting a genuine VW original belt on there - I can almost guarantee it will shut up!

Alternatively worth a punt with some silicone belt dressing. I used some a while back on my valver when it developed squeaky belts - sourced a product by a company called Rocol and had to go and find a reseller on some industrial estate in Coventry, but its specially formulated to prolong the life of rubber belts and also has the bonus of shutting them up when they get squeaky! Obviously keep it away from the cam belt (!!) but run the engine and squirt some on the main charger belt and also on the PAS pump belt..

Let me know if you want more info on the Rocol stuff - but Google should be able to help you as thats pretty much all I had to go on :)

And there you go... :D

Cheers Jim, that's some great info - much appreciated! It's a Goodyear belt, as I say I got it from G-Werkz so I'm sure it's quality albeit not VW. I didn't realise VW would do the shorter belts actually otherwise I would have picked one up on one of my many trips to the stealership!

I'll have a look into that Rocol stuff, as well.

As for the squealing, it happens at a particular point of boost, is all I can describe - not present at idle or beyond a certain rev point - basicall you can put your toe to the position it does it, then back off and on it and make it start and stop! It's not really loud, but it is irritating. Actually my C has a variety of interesting noises going on - still haven't solved the "beep" at high boost thing either!

Luckily it's going into my trusted mechanic in a couple of weeks for a full service and MOT, I was just a bit unnerved about this new, different-sounding charger because I don't fully trust the garage that swapped the belt today (they're next to my place of work so I use them for little bits and pieces when necessary) and I was wondering if they could have done anything wrong. Although the more I drive the car, the more I think this is how it's *supposed* to sound and it was just quiet before... It certainly sounds good, don't get me wrong - nothing like that otherworldy G60 howl!

Thanks again fellas.