Sign in to follow this  
larkin

where should this air pipe go?

while trying to trace my lambda / mixture errors problem (melted wires on the cat end) I noticed this loose air pipe above the lambda plug:

above%20lambda.jpg

its coming from the back of the air box, here:

from%20air%20box.jpg

wondering where this pipe should be connected up to or is this normal?

is this the air intake?

can anyone have a quick look for me next time your under the bonnet... Its a 2.0 16v..

cheers,

barry

Goes to the exhaust manifold, homey.

It's the warm air feed for when the car is starting up: as the exhaust manifold is hot pretty 99.9% of the time the car is running, that duct just takes the earm air back into the air intake system to gget the car running smoother.

Note: it doesn't actually recycle exhaust gases, it just takes warm air that is radiating off the hot manifold. AFAIK, it's not the root of your lambda problem.

hth,

Jon.

cool, cheers for that guys, ill take a closer look and see if i can see any heat shield or anything else it might attach onto..

i think i did find the root of my lambda problems, I can see it from underneath... the wires at the sensor on the cat have their insulation melted and i can see exposed wires :shock:

I think there should have been a heat shield around the cable down there but mine doesn't. I reckon the wires must have got damaged from the heat of the cat/downpipe. There is heat shield sleeve around the plug end of the cable on the top so perhaps this shield was installed on the wrong end by the previous owner/garage?

I just need to get the car over a pit / onto a lift now so that I can repair the damaged wires and get some kind of heat shield sleeve around it..

Sorting lambda wiring is something you don't need a pit or a lift for, it's quite easy to do lying on your back underneath or reaching down past the brake servo.

hth.

yea i know but will have access to a pit tonight..

i have a feeling trying to solder the wires will be painful / tricky enough without having to jack up the car and crawl...